Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My garden surprise! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-garden-surprise-t271123.html)

quiltingshorttimer 10-15-2015 06:07 PM

My garden surprise!

Between our miserably cool, wet early summer, followed by a dry, hot late summer AND my having a blood clot in my leg that required me to wear a full leg compression hose 24/7 (and it's hot!), my garden efforts this summer were a total flop. But when I did get it planted in early May, I cleared out my saved seeds in the refrigerator. This included some that were pretty old--so I just threw them onto the pile next to my compost bin--the pile where I toss the stuff too junky for the compost bin--figure if they grew, yea! If not, who cares?

Well, about 5 weeks ago a vine started, and since I tossed mostly pumpkin & winter squash, I figure that is what is growing. Some tiny fruit set and I figured pumpkin. But no! I've got cantalopes! I can't remember last year I bought cantaloupe seeds so totally surprised. Now hope it has time to ripen before the weather gets too cold at night here.

lynnie 10-15-2015 06:08 PM

lucky you!!

quiltingcandy 10-15-2015 06:21 PM

How fun! Enjoy!!! We can't grow anything here right now. What we would pay in water would greatly exceed anything I could get at the farmer's market.

Tartan 10-15-2015 07:25 PM

So fun! One year I threw the ornamental gourds into my compost bin. I magine my surprise when a vine grew out of the bin in the spring?

Jeanne S 10-15-2015 07:31 PM

I also got a volunteer cantaloupe vine in the middle of my garden from seeds that survived my compost bin! I have two lovely cantaloupe growing now. I also compost with worms and where ever I spread the worm castings I get volunteer tomato plants! I always get a kick out of seeing tomato plants sprouting in my flower pots.

Sandygirl 10-16-2015 02:41 AM

Fun! I started a small flower garden five years ago as a memoriial to my late mom. She loved to piddle around in her garden. Over the next few years some rogue seeds have found their way into my garden and now it is overgrown in flowers that I did not plant. I assume bird droppings have helped me along...a sign from Above? I think so!

Sandy

ManiacQuilter2 10-16-2015 06:37 AM

Why, that is a surprised. I could only grow Zucchinis.

Snooze2978 10-16-2015 08:43 AM

They stated we might have temps in the low 30's last night so I went out and picked all the decent sized green peppers and tomatoes as well as all the hot peppers, plus the last 2 eggplants. I planted them late so didn't receive very many but the plant still had new buds on it but I doubt if they'll be there today. Its only 48 at this writing at about noon time so I doubt if it will get much warmer today. My furnace never did come on during the night which is straight and surprising as this is a very old house built in 1900 and I know for a fact no insulation. My basement bathroom and one end of the kitchen which is the same side the bathroom is on gets very cold during the winter. Needless to say I take very fast showers during the winter plus I added heat lights right above where you step out of the tub.

c joyce 10-16-2015 09:43 AM

We're forecasted to have freezing weather tonight so I've just come in from picking all the green tomatoes to make green tomato salsa. There are a few that will be great for fried green tomatoes. I have to go back out and pick the swiss chard and do something with it.

annievee 10-16-2015 12:55 PM

Love the 'Free' things ----God's gift for tending the Earth.