Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My, how times have changed! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-how-times-have-changed-t226832.html)

Pinkiris 07-29-2013 11:51 AM

My, how times have changed!

Our grandkids (10 and 13) were visiting over the weekend. They brought with them their new electronic Monopoly game. Do you know that now when you pass "GO" you collect 2 million dollars? I about fainted! Most properties cost in the millions. The game has credit card type pieces for each player, and a handheld banker that adds and subtracts transactions when you insert your card.

Welcome to the 21st century!:shock:

SherriB 07-29-2013 02:11 PM

I haven't played Monopoly in years! I guess I need to quit telling my kids "Don't pass go and don't collect $200." any more! LOL!! I did read that Milton Bradley is taking out the "Go To Jail" card on games for younger children. Can't remember why though.

tessagin 07-29-2013 02:15 PM

My niece has the same game. @SherriB, I read that there were many fights over the Go To Jail card. Some people just cannot handle competition on any level.

nativetexan 07-29-2013 02:29 PM

Good grief. I guess there is no chance of getting them to play a game of checkers? boring!

nygal 07-29-2013 02:36 PM

I guess we can chalk it up to "inflation". lol

thimblebug6000 07-29-2013 05:06 PM

DH and I finally played dominoes on our latest camp trip.... have you ever searched online for the rules for dominoes? The ones with the game were a "translation" version... we laughed alot & made up a few of our own rules... will try to find some more definitive ones by checking out some library books before we attempt another game :eek:

DogHouseMom 07-29-2013 05:06 PM

That's just wrong. I always thought it was a great way for kids to learn math a fun way by handling money, especially as the banker.

Booo to the new Monopoly.

marymay 07-30-2013 03:52 AM

I still have the some Monopoly game that was given to me as a child (at age 6) back in the day. It is now 60 years old. Times has changed for sure.

KwiltyKahy 07-30-2013 05:26 AM

Technology is great when it works. What happens when the batteries run down? (Wish i had stock in battery companies). Over the years I have tried to give my grandchildren some of the non tech stuff, jacks, checkers, yo yos, paddle ball. Sometimes that sparked some good fun. Sometimes I got a look like "What????"

romanojg 07-30-2013 05:56 AM

My kids grew up playing games and I have several different Monoploy games. I bought the electronic one for my daughter and it was great because her son (5 then) could play along with them and not have to worry about keeping track of how much or how to count the money out. It allows for more family participation than the standard game and no cheating.