Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My mom got SCAMMED big time! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-mom-got-scammed-big-time-t128831.html)

Radiana 06-07-2011 04:07 PM

I got two of those letters for people I knew and had them in my email address books. I also figured out that it had to be from facebook because when I joined facebook I saw that they had accounts. Actually I think Facebook needs to take some responsibility in at least involving the FBI in this.

What about your mother's bank didn't they question such a large check our money transfer? Hopefully something can be done about this but in any case it's time for you or your berother to get financial power of attorney.

So sorry this happened, I will say a prayer that this all works out. God bless.

GwynR 06-07-2011 06:00 PM

FIL answered the phone one day to someone saying "Hi Grandpa, guess who this is." Of course grandpa guessed one of his grandsons and the guy said yes. Fortunately grandma is stingy and said call back. In the meantime she called EVERYONE asking where Eric was because Eric was not answering his phone. Poor 15 yr old kid was in school all along, but his grandparents pretty much believed a good bit of the story.
These scam artists are really good at tricking people.

earthwalker 06-07-2011 06:02 PM

There was a case here in Australia which made our news yesterday. Similar kind of thing, except the guy told the elderly lady he was from the Tax Office and needed her to send money, then her refund would be released. He also told her not to tell her family, she actually sent several "lots" of money via bank transfer. I think the total sum was around $50,000 (she had even taken out a $15,000.00 bank loan).

Seems these ratbags are the world over, best change your Mom's number to a silent/unlisted service and have your brother or yourself co-sign her banking/financial transactions. This may be more comfortable for her than giving over total control or power of attorney.

Sorry this happened to you and yours and I hope these disgusting thieves get their punishment in the foulest way possible.

pnptrapp 06-07-2011 06:05 PM

They do get a lot of their information from facebook, but these scams have been going on long before facebook was ever around!

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom's loss. Have you talked to western Union? Maybe they have a partial refund policey?

nativetexan 06-07-2011 06:09 PM

Yes report it but you may also want to change things at her Bank where it takes two signatures to move money at all. it's time.

sgardner 06-07-2011 06:11 PM

Sorry to hear your story. Along with calling the police, contact the news. After the story goes public, sometimes your community will rally around the victim to help them recover what was stolen from them.

ann31039 06-07-2011 06:20 PM

do make a police report. in order to claim a loss on your taxes, you have to have a police report and your reciepts for the cash sent. then next year, claim it on taxes and you'll get most of it back. that may be a little help.

babyfireo4 06-07-2011 06:24 PM

how horrible. I am so sorry this happened to your mom.

IrelandDragonQuilting 06-07-2011 06:30 PM

oh I am so sorry that your mom was subject to these jackals! Perhaps if you do go public you can prevent it from happening to another. Please let everyone know that even though facebook can be a lot of fun it is also a dangerous place. ***SIGH*** Too bad there are not 7000 people who could all send a dollar.

jaciqltznok 06-07-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Kimkankwilt:
Actually.. you may want to change your Mom's number. Once they get some one to bite on a scam, good bet they will keep her number and try again. :( :(

this is TRUE..they got my FIL for over $30K....they were in CAnada and the FBI knew it and could do nothing to get the money back..

if they said they were YOUR son...then they also know about YOUR family....it was someone who has access to HER private info...take her offline asap and get someone to be in charge of her bank account..
once they got my FIL's info they hit his bank within a week!