Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My New Ironing Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-new-ironing-board-t295036.html)

Suz 02-23-2018 12:36 PM

My New Ironing Board

I went to WalMart looking for a sturdy ironing board so that i could then purchase plyboard and make a rectangular working surface. Like me, a lot of you are working on the ironing board or the top of your washer/dryer. I just needed a larger surface. But, what I found was the sturdy board that is 18" wide. Did not expect to find this width. Just now giving it a try and I may not have to make the wooden/padded working surface.

It is metal, sturdy with splayed legs, nice padded cover, a rack to hold the iron off the end of the board as well as a shelf underneath to hold whatever. I am not a "WallyWorld Fan" but am happy with my find. (Our KMart was closed last year. Boo!)

Juliebelle 02-23-2018 01:25 PM

I have that one and I really like it.

Jingle 02-23-2018 06:10 PM

I have one like that. I bought it years ago. Seldom use it now. I love Wal Mart and go there every week.

JustAbitCrazy 02-24-2018 05:41 AM

Hmmm. Going to have to look for that on my next trip. Sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Homespun 02-24-2018 06:12 AM

I have one also!

lindaschipper 02-25-2018 05:58 AM

I also have that one...but it still isn't as wide as I wanted for ironing quilt top. My husband made a wooden padded top for it that I can take off and on when needed.

Snooze2978 02-25-2018 08:25 AM

I also have that ironing board from Walmart. I added the plywood top using a 24" x 48" x .5", padded it with batting and found red/white striped ticking fabric to cover it. The stripes help when I'm trying to keep an edge straight. The 48" length lets me press the whole width of the fabric too.

Suz 02-25-2018 11:39 AM

Snooze, 24" wide. This is 6" more than the board. Glad to hear it is working for you and I will definitely keep your sizes in mind if I don't find the 18" large enough.

I have a very large (60" x 96") padded and raised table which I formerly used to make draperies, bedspreads (custom sewing for the home of others), but it is in the basement and I am not doing stairs like I used to. It is great however, to stretch out a quilt for sandwiching. My friends call and reserve time on this table just to keep us off the floor. -- Guess this is why I am so interested in a larger surface on an ironing board.

lisalovesquilting 02-26-2018 06:27 AM

I've never seen this at our Walmart. But I will look on line. Thanks

quiltmama22 02-26-2018 06:54 AM

I have Several of those 18" wide boards, purchased at Walmart for our Folk School studio, and one or two of them consistently unexpectedly collapse while being used. Have not been able to figure out what we are doing wrong but I suspect that the aluminum mesh top is bending with use and the locking mechanism underneath the board gets out of alignment. Watch out! Do not casually lean on them while talking to a friend!