Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My Niece want to learn to sew (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-niece-want-learn-sew-t271244.html)

nonymac 10-19-2015 08:46 AM

My Niece want to learn to sew

I'm so excited. My Niece (9 yrs old) wants to learn how to sew. And I'm going to teach her. She has already started a list of what she wants to do. On the list is a "blanket". But I'm sure I can also work a quilt or wall hanging in there somewhere. I love to sew. It's in my blood. I have been sewing since I was in grade school, many many many years ago and just thinking about teaching her has me so thrilled. Oh - another thing she wants to make is a bear to cuddle up with. That will be "down the road" awhile tho. Yes Yes Yes

grannie cheechee 10-19-2015 09:11 AM

That sounds like sew much fun!!! You will both enjoy the experience I'm sure.

Quilty-Louise 10-19-2015 09:16 AM

I'm soooooo jealous!

My oldest and youngest daughters wanted to learn to sew, until
it came time to learn the basics and the safety. Than it was more
miss than hit.

Wish I had some youngsters to teach to sew, but than I DON'T
sew clothing and that seems to be a problem with learning to sew.

cjsews 10-19-2015 03:10 PM

So nice. Have lots of fun with her

BETTY62 10-19-2015 06:35 PM

Lucky you. I would be so thrilled if I had someone near me who wanted to learn to quilt.

juliea9967 10-20-2015 02:48 AM

You are going to have fun!
My suggestion for the bear that she wants to make is to check out Dolls And Daydreams. Sarah does a great job in designing the patterns and an awesome job of detailed instructions. I started with her patterns about a year and a half ago, and have become addicted to them. So easy to sew, so cute when completed.
www.dollsanddaydreams.com

sandy l 10-20-2015 02:52 AM

Sounds like you are doing the happy dance:). Hope you both have fun.

nonymac 10-20-2015 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by juliea9967 (Post 7350228)
You are going to have fun!
My suggestion for the bear that she wants to make is to check out Dolls And Daydreams. Sarah does a great job in designing the patterns and an awesome job of detailed instructions. I started with her patterns about a year and a half ago, and have become addicted to them. So easy to sew, so cute when completed.
www.dollsanddaydreams.com

Thanks for the information - I'll check out that site.

IBQUILTIN 10-20-2015 09:01 AM

How exciting for both of you. My DGD wanted to learn at that age, then life happened after a year or so, I found the first quilt top she was working on last year about this time and finished it up for her for Christmas. She was so thrilled, so don't be upset when she backs out a little for a while, and then comes back. Oh, and good luck to both of you

Halo 10-20-2015 05:52 PM

How wonderful. It will be fun for both of you. Just start her out on simple things like pillow cases, fabric bowls, aprons & such. Get her to thinking easy Christmas gifts for family & friends. That is if your family celebrates this Holiday. I know not everyone does. Then go to a simple quilt. That may be what she is talking about when she said blanket. Some non quilters call quilts blankets. Have a great time with her. There are easy tuts on all these online.