Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My personal hummingbirds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-personal-hummingbirds-t296693.html)

tuckyquilter 05-04-2018 11:09 AM

My personal hummingbirds

3 Attachment(s)
This nest sit literally in front of my kitchen table, on my front porch. I watch it while I have coffee, breakfast or am on the computer. It's really amazing. I've asked folks to text me and I'll open my garage so they don't disturb the nest when they visit.

I only take photo's of the actual nest when she is not on it. I don't want to scare her away. Especially now that there is a Baby, hatched on the 3rd. The second egg should be hatching in the next few days as well.

Call me crazy, but I love this stuff. I watch several live nesting eagles all across the country too. I can do that while I sew as my laptop goes anywhere. LOL

quiltingcandy 05-04-2018 11:18 AM

OMG I am so envious! That is wonderful! Are the parents bombarding you for getting too close? I was visiting a friend in Burlington, KS, he had a sign on his porch saying, "This house is protected by Attack Hummingbirds." At first I thought it was a joke and then these 2 little birds started flying around me and trying to get me to leave. My niece was in the car just watched and laughed at me. It was quite funny - I didn't swat at them just ducked and waited for my friend to come out and rescue me.

tuckyquilter 05-04-2018 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 8052327)
OMG I am so envious! That is wonderful! Are the parents bombarding you for getting too close? I was visiting a friend in Burlington, KS, he had a sign on his porch saying, "This house is protected by Attack Hummingbirds." At first I thought it was a joke and then these 2 little birds started flying around me and trying to get me to leave. My niece was in the car just watched and laughed at me. It was quite funny - I didn't swat at them just ducked and waited for my friend to come out and rescue me.

No, only the mother does the nesting, as they do it all by themselves. She flies away if anyone is on the porch. I also follow a bunch of nesting eagle nest on my computer. Lot's of new baby eagles all over the country.

elnan 05-04-2018 11:50 AM

tuckyquilter,
Thank you for letting us see your hummingbirds.

PamelaOry 05-04-2018 12:01 PM

I love hummingbirds, thanks for sharing yours! She is beautiful.

feline fanatic 05-04-2018 12:01 PM

I love hummingbirds. They have not yet returned to my area. We usually put the feeders out on Mother's Day. The males come first to stake out their territory, then the females show up. I am sure they nest nearby but I have yet to see a nest. You took some great pictures. Do you also put up feeders for them?

I don't watch any on line nesting but I do enjoy watching it around my home. We usually have several Robin's nests and also Wrens.

mandyrose 05-04-2018 12:13 PM

omg!!! that is so awesome tucky

ube quilting 05-04-2018 12:49 PM

This is a special treat to be a part of. Thank you for sharing and please keep posting about this wonderful experience.

Jane Quilter 05-04-2018 01:17 PM

They are so precious!

ekuw 05-04-2018 01:37 PM

Lucky you! What a beautiful thing to see everyday. Thank you for sharing :-)