Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   my sewing machine saga *grrrrr...* (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-sewing-machine-saga-%2Agrrrrr-%2A-t37799.html)

bibiche 02-24-2010 07:23 AM

Kinda quilting related, kinda not. So, I wanted, nay *needed* a new machine for quilting and decided on a Juki TL-98Q. But I didn't want one made in China. In my (online) search, I was offered a floor model for a not great price, but since they knew my aversion to buying a China made machine, they kind of had me over a barrel.

I tried negotiating a better price, and got a slight reduction. When I tried to get a bit more of a reduction and/or a better warranty (because they were asking more than the price of a new China made machine), I was told the owner had changed his mind and they wouldn't sell it to me after all. The guy I was working with said that the owner said that in his experience, people like me were "difficult customers" and "impossible to please" and he'd rather not deal with me. :x WTH. But I really wanted the machine and the guy I was dealing with was super nice. So whatever, they offered me a slightly better price and I bought it. Nearly TWO WEEKS ago. :evil: :evil:

Fast forward, I am STILL WAITING for this machine. Apparently "impossible to please" man had some worries on his farm or something and didn't get around to sending out my machine. "Nice guy" told me that he was promised that it would be shipped last Friday. I finally got shipping notice that it was sent out Monday, a full TEN DAYS after I paid several hundred dollars for it. And rather than expediting shipping (which I figured they would do since it was shipped so late), they sent it normal ground service. Well, ground service from Utah to New England takes at least seven days.

In your opinion, is this acceptable? I am hesitant to complain because "impossible to please" man has already painted me as a difficult customer (because it is really unreasonable to want to get a better price when one is spending a LOT of money in a crappy economy :roll: ). But c'mon, SEVENTEEN DAYS to wait for delivery??? I can complain, right? Or is that being too difficult? I'm so disgusted now that I don't even want the stupid machine and it gives me a bad feeling to even think about it. :-(

redrummy 02-24-2010 07:37 AM

Yes, you have every right to complain. 17 days is rediculous!!!!!!!

BellaBoo 02-24-2010 07:46 AM

I wouldn't put it passed a seller like that to make an adjustment to the machine so it will need a repair as soon as you start sewing on it. He probably sent it the slow way to make you mad.

Chasing Hawk 02-24-2010 07:46 AM

I n my experience, when treated like this I would have walked. No matter how good the machine was or any product for that matter. But since its paid for and on its way, I would seriously check the machine over very well. For all you know he may have half-a**ed packed it and damage may occur. He isn't much of a business man if he treats a potential customer his way.
I hope all goes well and let us know how it works out.

bibiche 02-24-2010 07:51 AM

Thanks for the validation. And yeah, I am very much regretting continuing to do business with them after Nice Guy told me what the owner said. :( I do have thirty days after it arrives to decide if i want to keep it or not. At this point I am inclined to just send it back, but then I would have to pay for the shipping back and forth. *sigh*

I don't get it, it is a place that gets really great reviews so I figured that it would be a positive experience. Now I can't even access their site, so of course I am nervous. But they did send something anyway.

BKinCO 02-24-2010 08:00 AM

As I sit here reading this, I'm just hoping that you paid by credit card so that you have some back up in this situation. I'd sure hate to try to get my money back out of him if you decide to return it :( Hopefully it shows up SOON and all is fine with it! Keep us posted!

bibiche 02-24-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
As I sit here reading this, I'm just hoping that you paid by credit card so that you have some back up in this situation. I'd sure hate to try to get my money back out of him if you decide to return it :( Hopefully it shows up SOON and all is fine with it! Keep us posted!

Not to worry on that front -- I always pay with a credit card in order to have purchase protection. I got my bill yesterday and they had no problem charging my card ten days before they sent it. :evil: :roll:

It isn't scheduled to arrive until March 1. I should have just bought the made in China machine. I guess this is what I get for my obstinance. :-(

Should I be worried that their site is down...? I called Nice Guy last week about it (because he threw in a downloadable frame quilting video and I couldn't access it) and he said that he thought it was just my computer or something. Anyone want to try to verify the site from her/his computer for me? I'd be happy to PM you the site name.

BKinCO 02-24-2010 08:15 AM

PM it to me, I'd be glad to check

BKinCO 02-24-2010 08:17 AM

OH, and PLEASE tell me you have a tracking number for it!

Charlee 02-24-2010 08:18 AM

The man is a bully. I'd do a chargeback on my credit card for the full price, and then send him a check, minus the amount for shipping. He wants me to be difficult, I'm more than happy to oblige! ;)