Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   my vegetable garden (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-vegetable-garden-t20503.html)

sandpat 05-25-2009 03:39 AM

Marcia....everytime I think we could move to somewhere that doesn't allow junk cars piled in the yard...I hear something like "can't plant a garden" and I say..nope. Anyway, my Dad plants okra, tomatoes, cantalope and watermelons in his FLOWER BEDS! He could plant anywhere..has 111 acres, but he is too lazy to till up a garden.. Anyway..he eats off those plants all summer, so it works! :lol: :lol:

Mplsgirl 05-25-2009 04:40 AM

Beautiful garden!

Mousie 05-25-2009 05:20 AM

a cow, a donkey, a horse, a pig...anybody can see it's a dog! lol, j/k...it adds a little something-something to your beautiful garden. Hope he ain't a muncher :wink:

Knot Sew 05-25-2009 05:50 AM

I just have to garden, its in my blood. Many of my ancestors were dirt farmers. I just get a good feeling from doing it. I share with my family. This year I have heirloom tomatoes. They are ripe when they are red orange or part green. I bought 6 plants and the leaves all look different, so it will be interesting. I just replanted my cucumbers as the first planting didn't grow..to cold. On the tall sticks I have a mix of pole beans and morning glories. :D I have a row of bush beans, carrots and beets. The lettuce I planted has not done well, so may replant in another spot :D

Mplsgirl 05-25-2009 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
I just have to garden, its in my blood. Many of my ancestors were dirt farmers. I just get a good feeling from doing it. I share with my family. This year I have heirloom tomatoes. They are ripe when they are red orange or part green. I bought 6 plants and the leaves all look different, so it will be interesting. I just replanted my cucumbers as the first planting didn't grow..to cold. On the tall sticks I have a mix of pole beans and morning glories. :D I have a row of bush beans, carrots and beets. The lettuce I planted has not done well, so may replant in another spot :D

I have done heirloom tomatoes and the taste is fabulous. Wondering, I don't know where you live, but isn't lettuce a spring (colder weather) crop? I have found it tends to bolt quickly if the weather turns warmer.

k3n 05-25-2009 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
Wondering, I don't know where you live, but isn't lettuce a spring (colder weather) crop? I have found it tends to bolt quickly if the weather turns warmer.

Yup - my spring lettuce has just bolted so I'll sow some more but in the shade. Also it seems for me that the red; leafy ones like lollo rosso are less likely to bolt!

K x

tlrnhi 05-25-2009 06:05 AM

I miss my gardens. Haven't had one in quite a long time.
Growing up we always had a garden. Dad would go to the farm up the street and load up the back of his truck from their back pastures. Yep, good old cow manure. Sure did stink for a bit, but the garden would grow great! We would have so many veggies, mom and I would can what we could, give away to who ever would take it and still have veggies left over. We would also put a "stand" at the end of the driveway with a FREE sign on it just to get rid of the excess. Oh yea....I should mention, the garden was about an acre. Dad always wanted a big garden. Finally he gave in and decided to cut back due to not being able to really keep up with the weeding and all the growing veggies, so he cut it down to 1/2 acre. lol

sandpat 05-25-2009 03:57 PM

I love to have the garden, but I just can't do the big one. But...next year we may have to enlarge it. We will be eating lots more veggies in our diet from now on, so you know they are really expensive!!

Ruth, I'll be interested in how those heirlooms do..I think it would be fun and interesting to try some.