Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Naked During the Earthquake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/naked-during-earthquake-t49850.html)

Lisanne 06-15-2010 07:44 PM

So there was an earthquake last night at the California/Mexico border, and many people felt it clear up in Orange County, where I am. And definitely felt it - it was more than just a little shimmy.

So I of course happened to be naked during the quake.

Okay, couldn't resist. All of that is true, but the fact is, I was in the shower and didn't notice a thing. I did hear people suddenly get loud, but I'm in a hotel by a pool and assumed it was just rowdiness.

I heard about it today. Apparently my hotel room was in a sweet spot, because I'm told things moved and fell, and even the iron on top of the room's rickety ironing board didn't move. Nothing in my room fell.

Happily, there are no reports of injuries.

I'm hoping I've beaten the odds for being naked or in some other compromising situation when a quake hits.

Not sure what a survivalist would do to stay prepared for an earthquake while in the bathroom...

sharon b 06-15-2010 07:46 PM

So does that mean you are swearing off clothes to bring you luck :wink: :lol: :shock: LOL

HeatherQuilts 06-15-2010 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
So does that mean you are swearing off clothes to bring you luck :wink: :lol: :shock: LOL

:lol: :lol:

amma 06-15-2010 07:49 PM

Oh No!!! LOL I am glad that it turned out well for you :D:D:D

CAROLJ 06-15-2010 07:50 PM

Many of the major high rise hotels are on rollers and you don't feel the quakes as much. I'm on sand then bedrock, so it's a bit better for me. When you're on sand it never seems to stop.

When we had a major quake years ago, we slept outside.

Lisanne 06-15-2010 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b

LOL, with this body, that would be a crime against humanity! Geez, that really is a different way of thinking about it. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, amma.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carol, I'm on the ground floor of a two-story building, but that is good to know. What part of CA is Rancho Mirage in? Were you in the area that had the quake?

JanetM 06-15-2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
So there was an earthquake last night at the California/Mexico border, and many people felt it clear up in Orange County, where I am. And definitely felt it - it was more than just a little shimmy.

So I of course happened to be naked during the quake.

Okay, couldn't resist. All of that is true, but the fact is, I was in the shower and didn't notice a thing. I did hear people suddenly get loud, but I'm in a hotel by a pool and assumed it was just rowdiness.

I heard about it today. Apparently my hotel room was in a sweet spot, because I'm told things moved and fell, and even the iron on top of the room's rickety ironing board didn't move. Nothing in my room fell.

Happily, there are no reports of injuries.

I'm hoping I've beaten the odds for being naked or in some other compromising situation when a quake hits.

Not sure what a survivalist would do to stay prepared for an earthquake while in the bathroom...

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was on the toilet when the big earthquake in 1968 hit....I thought at the time what a horrible way to go. Can you imagine the obit. :lol: :lol: :lol: Forgive me, I know TMI (too much information) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last night's quake felt pretty strong, here in San Diego :shock:

Woodster 06-15-2010 08:12 PM

During the prior quake felt in CA, I was on the phone with my daughter who is living in Pasadena. She was on her patio and told her boyfriend the blinds in the window were moving back and forth and she could feel movement. He told her she was imagining things. We finished our conversation, hung up and I turned on the news here - sure enough, there had been an earthquake. That was a good "I told you so" moment for her!

craftybear 06-15-2010 08:32 PM

I am glad to hear that you were okay!

mom-6 06-15-2010 10:11 PM

Ny hubby and I were just getting ready to get up in the morning when the one hit the VA hospital in LA back in the early 70's. Each of us thought the other was shaking the bed to wake the other one up. But when we heard the windchime I had hanging from the lamp in the corner we knew it had to be an earthquake. We were newlyweds living in downtown San Bernardino at that time and it was our first experience with an earthquake.