Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need to clean discolored vinyl floor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-clean-discolored-vinyl-floor-t243317.html)

copehome 03-16-2014 11:10 AM

Need to clean discolored vinyl floor

Anybody have an idea how to clean a yellowed portion of a white vinyl floor? We removed an area rug in Mom's kitchen, and there is a 3" ring of yellowed discloration around where the rug was! There was no vinyl backing on the rug and the center of the rug, where her kitchen table sat, is just as white are the rest of the floor. Any ideas to clean that area? I haven't found anything that works.

dakotamaid 03-16-2014 11:49 AM

The yellowed part may be from exposure to sunshine. At least that is what I found out when my lite colored vinyl floor turn yellow in spots. We finally figured out it was where the window and door window shone on the floor. We were told there was not much you can do.

Doggramma 03-16-2014 07:48 PM

Have you tried ammonia? I remember my grandma using ammonia in her water when she mopped the floors. I think you need to be careful about scrubbing it with anything. Usually the vinyl layer isn't very thick and you have that black layer right underneath.

Ellageo 03-17-2014 04:04 AM

Have 4 spots in my bathroom like that, was told it was the -glue? they used coming thru? NOTHING worked for me, so I'm sorta thinking 'they' are right.

Tartan 03-17-2014 05:21 AM

Did the rug have a non slip edge? That is all I can think of for the discoloration or maybe one of the rug colour bled through? If it has stained the white yellow, I don't think there is much you can do. It's either buy another rug, replace the floor or live with it, sorry.

TnBecky 03-17-2014 05:30 AM

My Mother & I both have this problem. Her kitchen floor is white vinyl & she has been told it is the glue coming through. Mine is white vinyl in the bathroom & was told it is from sunlight. Since vinyl has a protective top coat the only solution is to replace it. :(

tessagin 03-17-2014 05:34 AM

Try vinegar or Windex (original).

sewred 03-17-2014 05:45 AM

Try to use clear pvc pipe cleaner. Pour it on a rag and just wipe one time. My husband says sometimes that will work, but don't scrub it though. He use to install flooring .

maryb119 03-17-2014 05:48 AM

If your floor rugs have the non skid latex backing....it will discolor your white floor. I have solved the problem by buying the double sided rugs without the non skid backing. I am not sure anything with get the discoloring off except time and not putting a non skid rug down. My flooring store explained to me that its a chemical reaction between the vinyl and the non skid backing on rugs.

Bobbielinks 03-17-2014 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ellageo (Post 6630606)
Have 4 spots in my bathroom like that, was told it was the -glue? they used coming thru? NOTHING worked for me, so I'm sorta thinking 'they' are right.

That is what I was told - it was the glue. The areas where it happened do not receive direct sunlight so I think mine must be the glue. Mine also happened where a simple cotton throw rug laid, this cotton rug had no backing. It begin to show up about 6 months after we laid new vinyl in our kitchen. I called the company that sold and installed it and they said it was the glue. They came out, torn up the vinyl, put new vinyl down with a different glue, but now 17 years later the "new vinyl" is beginning to show some yellow areas.