Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need Help from all the experienced seamstresses (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-help-all-experienced-seamstresses-t81420.html)

bearisgray 12-08-2010 08:00 AM

Also - be aware that knits vary in how stretchy they are.

Some are very "rigid" - with little or no give.

Some will stretch more than double in both directions.

Some knits have a lot of (usually) crosswise stretch, and very little vertical stretch.

My favorite fabric to work with is cotton interlock.

Grama Lehr 12-08-2010 08:02 AM

No finishing required on knits!
I use my serger, cuz it looks pretty on the inside too!

tutty 12-08-2010 08:02 AM

I also use a serger though I'm just learning on it for sewing knits. Wavey hems yet. I also use it for new fabric and edge it all around before washing !! Helps a lot.

Grama Lehr 12-08-2010 08:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I recently made a Halloween costume out of "dance" fabric, it stretches every witchey way, I used my regular sewing machine, with all of the knit settings and it turned out great!
I made the Jack Skeleton costume.

Robinlee 12-08-2010 08:11 AM

me too.....wouldn't go without it, I have two incase one breaksdown when I have lots of stuff I working on - lesson learned.

Originally Posted by Candace
I use my serger for knits.

amandasgramma 12-08-2010 08:18 AM

I took the original "Stretch n Sew" classes. They recommended to NOT use the stretch stitch. That stitch goes back and forth and back and forth over the same stitches. It's a bear to take out. They said to use regular straight stitch and give your knit a slight pull as it's feeding thru the foot. I've done that for 36 yrs....and NEVER had a seam come out. I have a serger.....mine doesn't have the 4th needle that gives a seamline..(dumb - 1st ones out)....but I'd think that would work great.

bearisgray 12-08-2010 08:20 AM

It's also a good idea to practice on scraps - going both "directions" - and then tug on the sewn piece to see if the stitching will hold.

bearisgray 12-08-2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I took the original "Stretch n Sew" classes. They recommended to NOT use the stretch stitch. That stitch goes back and forth and back and forth over the same stitches. It's a bear to take out. They said to use regular straight stitch and give your knit a slight pull as it's feeding thru the foot. I've done that for 36 yrs....and NEVER had a seam come out. I have a serger.....mine doesn't have the 4th needle that gives a seamline..(dumb - 1st ones out)....but I'd think that would work great.

I'd forgotten that - mine has that, too. I seldom use that one - if anything I use a zigzag. I will use the "hemming" stitch for doing hems.

Oh - only turn hems up once.

Another also - some knits will "run" - like a nylon stocking. Most don't - but some will "run" more from one end than the other.

If there is a difference, put the more stable end around the neckline or at the waist.

Generally speaking, I think knits are more forgiving to work with than wovens.

bearisgray 12-08-2010 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
Oh just thought of another question. Do I have to go back and zigzag the raw edges to "finish" them?

That's optional - depends on the look you like.

I generally sew crotch seams twice - with a zig-zag.

Most of the patterns I used call for a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

carhop 12-08-2010 12:37 PM

if you do not have a surger you make two seams 1/16 in apart there are patterns called strech n sew they are made for knit i made GD's their panties with that pattern (they liked them better than store bought)