Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need help with fibromyalgia and hands (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-help-fibromyalgia-hands-t131014.html)

tdgiffin 06-16-2011 03:05 PM

I am having trouble with sewing. I use a lighter pressure when I sew because I have to be careful on how much I exert any part of my body.

Even when I sew gently, after awhile, two of my fingers go numb. They will stay like that for a full 24 hours. Is there any way I can hold the fabric as I sew that might lower the amount of exercise that my hand is getting?

amma 06-16-2011 03:24 PM

I use more than just two fingers whenever possible. More fingers or my whole hand is even better.
Some times I feed the fabric through with my fingers, then I will switch to using my seam ripper. For me it is keeping them in the same position for too long, overusing the same muscles.

Stop very often, massage my hands, warm them up and rest them higher than my heart (for the swelling), use larger ergonomic tools.

I have tried snug fitting gloves too.. they do help to take the strain off of my hands. Mine are a nylon, breathable and fingerless, found them at a sporting goods store :D:D:D

mtspools 06-16-2011 03:24 PM

I don't have any answers, but just want you to know I feel bad for you. My daughter in law has fibromyalgia also. You all are in my prayers.

Tink's Mom 06-16-2011 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I use more than just two fingers whenever possible. More fingers or my whole hand is even better.
Some times I feed the fabric through with my fingers, then I will switch to using my seam ripper. For me it is keeping them in the same position for too long, overusing the same muscles.

Stop very often, massage my hands, warm them up and rest them higher than my heart (for the swelling), use larger ergonomic tools.

I have tried snug fitting gloves too.. they do help to take the strain off of my hands. Mine are a nylon, breathable and fingerless, found them at a sporting goods store :D:D:D

I agree with Amma...I use Handeze gloves...and the main idea is to fool the body by changing positions all the time...

Sheila_H 06-16-2011 03:47 PM

I have it as well and my Dr has me on Lyrica it helps with some of my tremors and pain. I start and stop a lot with my sewing and massage my hands when they start to get to tingle and I use the Handeze gloves as well.

Kaz 06-16-2011 03:48 PM

I feel for you. Hope you can find some way of making it more pleasant for yourself :)

Nanamoms 06-16-2011 04:37 PM

I also have Fibro and I have to stop occasionally and stretch my fingers. Also, if I use my right hand too much, I'll have muscle spasms up into my shoulder...then I have to quit sewing (or being on computer) for a while. I get the tingly feeling in the tips of my fingers, also. I use the Handeze gloves and they help a lot. I don't know of any magic cure for the pain...have tried most every medication there is. Just stop and rest and stretch.

jaciqltznok 06-16-2011 04:51 PM

if you are going numb..you need to have your spine checked...
numbness is not just associated with fibro and believing that everything you have gone wrong is related to fibro could be causing you more damage! get the dr to xray for arthritis and check your sugars..both can cause numbness...and so can a million other things...

Tink's Mom 06-16-2011 05:22 PM

Jackie...For me it is arthritis, too...they just go hand in hand...

watterstide 06-16-2011 05:29 PM

maybe carpel tunnel? i have FMS..my hands go numb just sitting..and i have CT in both hands..a hand splint at night helps.you should NOT assume it is the FMS..

we all ignore our symptoms..because we are in so much pain all the time, in different parts of our bodies..we,as women, just "get on with it" and go about our lives..go get checked again.

i have to do lots of stopping and stretching when i sew..