Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need help with how to keep embroidery thread numbers with colors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-help-how-keep-embroidery-thread-numbers-colors-t279649.html)

llong0233 06-16-2016 10:10 AM

Need help with how to keep embroidery thread numbers with colors

1 Attachment(s)
I recently started using the embroidery unit of my Brother Innovis 1250D. I have SMBalways thread. The thread color numbers are on the top of the spool. When the spool is placed on the thread holder the number label is torn away. Now I have the spool but no number. The number doesn't appear any place else on the spool. How do you keep track of the numbers for future use?

quiltingcandy 06-16-2016 10:21 AM

You could get those little sticker dots, write the number on the dot and put it just inside on the bottom.

I tried to keep a spread sheet of all the colors and numbers, but then lost interest, and I only have about 75 colors.

krafty14 06-16-2016 10:57 AM

You could gently peel off the dot on top before it gets ruined, then press to the inside of the cone. Maybe some clear tape over it. Ann

Bree123 06-16-2016 12:35 PM

I have a spreadsheet with all the color numbers, brands, date purchased & description of the color so I can match them up. The other thing I've seen people do is to use one of those plastic sheets for coin collectors & they put a bit of thread in it & stick the spool label to the front.

Dolphyngyrl 06-16-2016 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by krafty14 (Post 7578696)
You could gently peel off the dot on top before it gets ruined, then press to the inside of the cone. Maybe some clear tape over it. Ann

This is what I did when I was using my thread art thread

Tothill 06-16-2016 01:37 PM

I use a sharpie and write the brand and colour number inside the spool or on the outer rim. You can get silver sharpies for writing on black.

Perhaps we need to start a letter writing campaign to thread companies to put the numbers in another place?

NoraB 06-16-2016 03:53 PM

I don't know how you store your spools....but I'm thinking......I've seen some of those little beads with holes in them (usually you see them with letters--but I was able to find some with numbers). Anyway....maybe string the number of the thread on a little rubber band. Then, when you take it off your machine...put the rubber band around the thread spool? Or maybe you can come up with a little dowel with the number written on it (or the numbers glued on it) and then stick the dowel in the spool hole. Or, last but not least, there are these little baggies that I use for DMC embroidery thread....there's a place to write the number on the sack (those are skeins, but might work for your spools?). Have fun!

nanacc 06-16-2016 07:45 PM

I use a sharpie or a paint pen to write the numbers on the base of the spool.

DOTTYMO 06-16-2016 10:48 PM

Some great ideas here.

donna13350 06-17-2016 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by nanacc (Post 7579063)
I use a sharpie or a paint pen to write the numbers on the base of the spool.

That's exactly what I do.