Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need help with ring bearer pillows (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-help-ring-bearer-pillows-t276302.html)

carolstickelmaier 03-02-2016 01:07 PM

Need help with ring bearer pillows

Grandson brought his mothers wedding dress over last night and requested three ring bearer pillows made from it. It is simple lace over satin. No beading. What size to make. Does it need a strap on bottom for little boy to hold on to? Thinking of covering satin with lace and a cut out heart in the center where the ring goes. Do I just use ties to hold ring or something else. Lace hanging over edges or corner bows? I never had a big wedding so no idea what they use or how its done. HELP! Thanks for any info you can send my way. I have several months for this project so I can mull it over for awhile. OH ya the satin is yellowed, can I hand wash with oxi clean before making them?

Weezy Rider 03-02-2016 01:21 PM

I made my daughter's. I did heirloom and used a beige type batiste.

The only request by the person who performed the service was that the rings should be easy to get off so no one had to fumble at the altar. I used straight pins and hid them under a loop of ribbon.

Whatever looks best.

Geri B 03-02-2016 01:27 PM

If you are near a michaels or hobby lobby they sell them...you can look and get some ideas. I wonder if there is a pattern somewhere for one on the web.....bet there is!

elnan 03-02-2016 02:05 PM

Sharlene Jorgenson of "Quilting From The Heartland" has a ringbearer's pillow in her 200 series book, the one with a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt on the front. It finishes to about 9 1/2 to 10 inches, round, and with a Double Wedding Ring block centered on it. Don't they usually have narrow ribbons to tie the rings on?

lynnie 03-02-2016 02:38 PM

you could always go to a bridal shop for ideas.
My son was a ring bearer when he was 10 for my gay sister. He made the pillow on the emb machine. it had their two names and a rainbow instead of an &. I sewed it together and it had ribbons for the rings. came out pretty.
I'd look on pintrest for ideas, they are just loaded with pictures.

TShooters 03-02-2016 03:38 PM

Look on etsy or pinterest, also. Some cute ideas there. I've made a couple about 5x5" finished.

bakermom 03-02-2016 06:58 PM

I made pillows for a couple weddings. 5x7 was a good size. I smocked them and added a ribbon in the center to tie fake rings for show. The real ones were with the best man

moonwork42029 03-02-2016 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 7482569)
I made pillows for a couple weddings. 5x7 was a good size. I smocked them and added a ribbon in the center to tie fake rings for show. The real ones were with the best man

Exactly....

Geri B 03-03-2016 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 7482569)

Thats how mine was.....many, many yrs ago.....and all others I've been to.........ring bearer is just for show along with flower girl.......

carolstickelmaier 03-03-2016 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7483091)
Thats how mine was.....many, many yrs ago.....and all others I've been to.........ring bearer is just for show along with flower girl.......

Interesting..I did not know this..My kids keep telling me to get into this century. Really I am not that old! But that
being said I am admittedly a little old fashioned. Guess I had better visit a few bridal shops.. Now where is that darn phone book!