Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need help stuffing pin cushions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-help-stuffing-pin-cushions-t140908.html)

Tartan 07-28-2011 03:04 PM

It depends on the pin cushion. I used a styrofoam ball (cut in half) to stuff my sunny side up egg pin cushion. I used fine sand for the pin cushion attached to my thread catcher. I used polypropalin(sp) beads for my log cabin chicken. I have used polyester fiberfill in pin cushion also.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-28-2011 03:06 PM

I'm making one like CJomomma did but I'm using lavender from my garden to stuff it with. Have no idea how it will hold up but it may just work!

sueisallaboutquilts 07-28-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I use raw wool.

I have one made of raw wool that looks like a caramel roll that I got in Paducah some years ago and that thing is wonderful!

jeaninmaine 07-28-2011 03:34 PM

I'd use sand if you need weight to it, lamb's wool if you don't.

jaciqltznok 07-28-2011 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by annthreecats
I'm getting my Christmas projects lined up and I found a tutorial for a cute sewing tool caddy with a removable pin cushion.

I'm trying to figure out what to stuff my pin cushion with. One of the tutorials mentioned that polyester fiberfill will ruin your pins and she stuffs her pin cushions with wool or cotton. I saw another that suggested putting some steel wool in it to keep pins sharp.

What do you stuff your homemade pin cushions with?

Does anyone use emery?

Yes, the poly fill will dull needles..it is poly...
steel wool is good, if covered in muslin, sos pads are better, the soap keeps the pins sharp and and does not rust or break down as fast as steel wool.
I just walnut shells and corn cob litters...in a little muslin bag..stitched closed, and then an sos pad on top of that, then my fabric...
IF you sell them and they have the SOS pads, or the walnut shells, you have to put a warning on them for those that have allergies!

suern3 07-28-2011 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
I use crushed walnut hulls. You can buy it at a pet supply store.

This is what I used , also.

annthreecats 07-28-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I have used Poly for years with no problems but maybe I am just lucky or haven't noticed anything

Would you mind sharing a link to the tutorial you found i have been looking for something like that

Sent you a PM with the link.

annthreecats 07-28-2011 04:19 PM

I think I will use a combination of wool, steel wool and crushed walnut shells. I don't want it to be too heavy.

Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it.

quiltsRfun 07-28-2011 09:54 PM

I use raw wool.

Where do you find raw wool?

quilting cat 07-28-2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun

I use raw wool.

Where do you find raw wool?

Know anyone with sheep? Or try a spinning and weaver's supply.