Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   need hip surgery??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-hip-surgery-t180832.html)

michellee 02-26-2012 06:10 PM

need hip surgery???

I want to tell anyone that is in need of hip surgery that I had my left hip done Nov. 21...I had a procedure done that was less invasive that is done by most drs.....The reg. way is a long insision on side of leg and muscles cut from femur and stomach...I had a small insision and no muscles cut. This Dr. replaces between the muscles...It was a piece of cake. I was driving in three weeks and no cane in 5 weeks and was at the mall.....This procedure is call the Anterior procedure...not all Drs. do it this way. I went to the Rothman institute in Philly....Drs. name is Hozak...surgery done in Jefferson....Ask about this way if you are having a hip done....it's worth it. The other way, it takes about 6 months to recover....Feel free to get back to me if you have any questions. I would be glad to talk to you....Michelle

QuiltnNan 02-26-2012 06:23 PM

i saw that demonstrated on "The Doctors" a week or so ago. looks so much better than the old way. congrats on a great outcome on yours :)

ging10ging 02-26-2012 06:26 PM

glad to hear your procedure worked so great. Sue

Jingle 02-26-2012 06:31 PM

I had a total hig replacement in dec. 1992. Old method was the only then. I was in the hospital 4 days, used a cane for 6 weeks, Went back to work after 4 weeks. Very depressing but, very necessary. I have had it for 19yrs.

Stitchnripper 02-26-2012 06:32 PM

Glad to hear. I had a procedure, not anterior, but, muscle sparing, very small incision on my outer thigh. Same as you - driving in 3 weeks, off cane by 5. this was 5 years ago and I couldn't be happier with the results. I had it done in Atlanta since no surgeon here did that type of surgery. Came back here for physical therapy and therapists were amazed by my speedy recovery. Also, the surgeon said even with the non muscle sparing, they don't make as big an incision as they did years ago. They have learned over the years, I guess. We are the benefactors of constantly improving technology.

Peckish 02-26-2012 07:59 PM

Beneficiaries, even! :D

Glad to hear your procedure went so well! I've been wondering if I might eventually need a hip replacement, although my doc says my issue is "snapping hip syndrome" and doesn't have anything to do with the joint itself - just the tendon snapping over the joint. Whatever it is, it sure is uncomfortable.

Joanne 02-27-2012 05:14 AM

I had surgery on Nov 16 the "old" way- as what you had is not for everyone. I just finished PT last week and cannot drive yet. It is worth asking your surgeon to do the minimally invasive procedure. Good luck and I hope I never need more joint replacements!

Scraps 02-27-2012 05:22 AM

My husband had the Anterior procedure done two years ago. His Dr is one of them that went all over the country teaching the new procedure. It is pretty common now in FL. Walking afterwards is the secret to a full and healthy recovery. Glad all went well for you and thank you for sharing to help others.

Ditter43 02-27-2012 07:55 AM

I learned last week that I will have a hip replacement in my future. I will definitely remember this!!! Thanks so much for the information.
I am happy for your speedy recovery!

michellee 03-04-2012 07:42 AM

HI, As I wrote before that I had an anterior procedure for hip replacement...There was nothing to it...if I need my other one done I would not be nervous at all...it was so easy. A few weeks later I had gallbladder surgery...There was nothing to it...I was lucky to have absolutly no problem with both...Good luck with your hip surgery...I wish I didn't put it off like I did..Don't wait too long...recovery is so fast and I can say I had no pain..just a little discomfort which was nothing...