Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need ideas -- PLEASE -- for hostess gift (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-ideas-please-hostess-gift-t212306.html)

gramma nancy 01-28-2013 03:54 PM

Need ideas -- PLEASE -- for hostess gift

We are going to visit friends in Boulder, CO to attend the Conference on World Affairs in April. I am at a total loss as to what to take for a hostess gift. We will be there almost a week, they are shuttling us to and from the Denver airport and loaning us a car for the duration. Needless to say, they deserve a very nice hostess gift.

One of the problems is that our hosts, whom we have known forever, are fairly wealthy and need NOTHING. They travel widely and have a home liberally decorated with lovely things from around the world. I am bad at thinking of hostess gifts at the best of times, but this one has me stumped.

I have thought of sending flowers to be delivered just before we arrive. They don't garden (and have a service to cut the grass, etc.) so my idea of flower bulbs won't work for them. We sometimes take our hosts out to eat when we are visiting someone, and will in this case, but that hardly seems adequate for their generous hospitality.

Any ideas?? Thank you to anyone with a suggestion.

Tartan 01-28-2013 04:08 PM

How about a gift certificate to their favourite restaurant? Maybe fill the gas tank up on the car you are using? Tuck some Starbucks gift certificate into the car visor?

Patti25314 01-28-2013 05:28 PM

Is there anything special made in your area -- like candy, syrup, wine....Also what about making a trivet or placemats, napkins, table runner, something like that?

hopetoquilt 01-28-2013 05:51 PM

If they are as benevolent as they seem to be, can you make a donation to a cause that they care deeply about and in the thank you card, can you elaborate on why you chose the organization and where the $$ will be used?

NJ Quilter 01-28-2013 06:13 PM

A lovely bottle of wine or a really nice champagne with a couple of nice glasses and cheese/crackers done in a nice gift basket? Or if you're not sure of their wine preferences, possibly a gift card to a local wine shop with the glasses, etc. A couples spa treatment? And yes, possibly something made by you. If they are the type who appreciates craftsmanship.

QuiltE 01-28-2013 09:23 PM

How about making them a lap quilt? placemats? runner? etc.

No matter how much they have, I'm sure they would really appreciate something you made for them.

Flowers ... Instead of in advance, I'd suggest waiting and having them delivered after you leave, with a personalized note of appreciation.

wanda lou 01-29-2013 12:54 AM

make sure the gas tank is filled, and after you leave send them a note of appreciation along with a gift card for a wonderful dinner out or a weekend at a nice nearby bed and breakfast. the B and B is my fav everyone loves a getaway.

TanyaL 01-29-2013 06:45 AM

I goggled 5 star restaurants in Denver and there are 5 listed. Why not a gift certificate for two at one of these?It would be appropriate and you could include it in a box of Godiva Chocolates or something else simple that they could enjoy at the moment. Or tickets to one of the plays or other events happening in Denver. If travel is no problem for them, how about tickets to a Broadway show?

mrs. fitz 01-29-2013 08:08 AM

Whatever you decide pls include something you've made just for them. If you go the wine route make some crisscross coasters. Every time they use the coasters they will think of you and tell their guests "our friend made these for us".

Dragonomine 01-29-2013 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5821898)
How about making them a lap quilt? placemats? runner? etc.

No matter how much they have, I'm sure they would really appreciate something you made for them.

Flowers ... Instead of in advance, I'd suggest waiting and having them delivered after you leave, with a personalized note of appreciation.

Agree. My brother in law is very wealthy and when he got married I made him a double wedding ring quilt. Also, when my family visited my aunt for a week many years ago I gave her a Sunbonnet Sue quilt. Just recently she says she still uses it! It doesn't matter how much money you have, there's nothing like the comfort of a home made quilt!