Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need opinion....my daughter wants a Worm Farm in the house (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-opinion-my-daughter-wants-worm-farm-house-t106563.html)

thequiltmama 03-10-2011 09:58 AM

Hi everyone. I need some advice or opinions. My daughter has gotten it into her head that she now wants a Worm Farm kit in the house. Ok, but We already have our dog, A fiddler crab and a worm in a jar we have had all winter. Soooo should I do it. Oh, and we have had a butterfly enclosure in the house last year. Has anyone here had the worm kits before and what is the best kind to get. :)

yes, she is a little odd. lol.

icon17 03-10-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by thequiltmama
Hi everyone. I need some advice or opinions. My daughter has gotten it into her head that she now wants a Worm Farm kit in the house. Ok, but We already have our dog, A fiddler crab and a worm in a jar we have had all winter. Soooo should I do it. Oh, and we have had a butterfly enclosure in the house last year. Has anyone here had the worm kits before and what is the best kind to get. :)

yes, she is a little odd. lol.

Why not Mom! You can use it to feed your plants. 8-)

Charming 03-10-2011 10:02 AM

Sorry i can't help, but she is not wierd at all. We had all kinds of animals at my house before we had a dog and a cat. One of them was Ant Farm, but my kids loved it and enjoyed watching the ants until they lasted!!!

Enjoy her childhood with her :lol:

MadQuilter 03-10-2011 10:04 AM

Worms make the best compost. It's a green project and they eat your left-overs. They are also very dog-friendly, which is more than I can say for my cat. Why not?

kathy 03-10-2011 10:07 AM

I don't know about IN the house, if it gets knocked over you've really got a mess, if you have plants that dirt after they've been in it for a while is the best you can get!
we didn't have a kit, we had a big bed in the yard, like at the bait shops
have fun and enjoy her while you can, before you know it she'll be grown

Candace 03-10-2011 10:07 AM

She sounds exactly like my daughter who currently is breeding pond snails in her bedroom. Before that were mealie worms. Before that frogs, before that...well you get where I'm going. She's going off to college as an Animal Science major, pre-vet so it's in the blood I'm afraid. As a parent you just have to foster their interests and try to look away sometimes so they can "do their thing."

nycquilter 03-10-2011 10:09 AM

I did this over my husband's strenuous and regularly repeated objections. It so greatly reduced our household garbage. You can compost all your food scraps, junk mail, non-glossy papers, including paper towels, paper plates, napkins. I kept the bin (eventually added a second) going for more than two years. This year, between one week and another, the worms all died. I was so sad. Also, the bins began to stink (I mean STINK in big letters). Husband insists I begin a compost bin without hte worms, but I'm not sure...I got to really like the little critters and this from a girl who refused to touch the earthworms in high school and college biology classes when it came to dissection! They are really interesting. Search "worm composting" on the web for more information. Definitely, go for it!

shequilts 03-10-2011 10:11 AM

'Sounds healthy to me. There are sooooooo many other things that could garner their interests. It might be fun to watch them.(Kids and worms) I would be sure there is a tight fitting screen on the top. Little things might go squish during a nightime trip to the bathroom. OOOOHH!

grann of 6 03-10-2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter
I did this over my husband's strenuous and regularly repeated objections. It so greatly reduced our household garbage. You can compost all your food scraps, junk mail, non-glossy papers, including paper towels, paper plates, napkins. I kept the bin (eventually added a second) going for more than two years. This year, between one week and another, the worms all died. I was so sad. Also, the bins began to stink (I mean STINK in big letters). Husband insists I begin a compost bin without hte worms, but I'm not sure...I got to really like the little critters and this from a girl who refused to touch the earthworms in high school and college biology classes when it came to dissection! They are really interesting. Search "worm composting" on the web for more information. Definitely, go for it!

Well, I compost OUTSIDE! The thought of worms in the house just grosses me out. I have tiny ants in the bathroom. They are crawling AROUND the ant traps. Had them off and on all winter. I hate bugs of most any kind, even worms. My husband used to take me fishing, but I couldn't bait the hook. YUK!!!

nycquilter 03-10-2011 10:20 AM

the worms are confined to a bin and do not have free range of anywhere but their bin!