Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need some ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-some-ideas-t243021.html)

CountryCat 03-11-2014 11:05 PM

Need some ideas

Our small country church is celebrating their 135th anniversary this year & we'd like to give a gift to all of our members & guests who attend the celebration. For the 125th anniversary everyone received a glass Christmas ornament with a picture of a country church, dates & name of our church. I love them, but it seems a shame that we only display it at Christmas. Our church has very few members that are under the age of 40 & most of them are retired. I should have first asked if we have a budget before asking all of you this question....sorry. I would like to give members something that will last (not perishable or ink pens that will run out of ink or a calendar that will be obsolete at the end of the year, etc). I saw some nice glass paper weights online, & I thought we could give one to each family, but I'm open to suggestions. Have any of you been in a similar situation with your church? How did you celebrate & did you give a momento to your members?

Tartan 03-12-2014 04:00 AM

How about a beautiful ribbon book mark with a church engraved medallion on the bottom for your Bible? It would be something you could use every day.

NJ Quilter 03-12-2014 04:01 AM

I like the paperweight idea. Not for a church, but we have done something similar for the young ladies of our auxiliary. If they join as 'junior' members, when they graduate from high school, as part of their recognition from our organization (at least when I was prez) was an engraved silver star paperweight. I've gotten them from 'Things Remembered' both in-store and online. That store has many choices for reasonably-priced, engraved items. And the quality is very nice.

alleyoop1 03-12-2014 04:44 AM

I was going to suggest a bookmark but Tartan beat me to it. That is something they will tuck into their Bible and hopefully say a prayer for their church every time they see it.

Deb watkins 03-12-2014 04:52 AM

Bookmarks are a great idea, and if you were very adventurous, you could make bible covers!

Diannia 03-12-2014 07:27 AM

We gave out coffee mugs with a picture of our church and the anniversary date on it. We had leftovers and filled them with candies and gave them to visiting guests each Sunday until we ran out of mugs. We also had anniversary t-shirts and collared shirts made that people could purchase to wear on the day of our anniversary celebration.

DOTTYMO 03-12-2014 08:15 AM

Crocheted cross with a loop at top and tassel at base many ways to use.

lynnie 03-12-2014 12:54 PM

if you have access to an emb machine, they have beautiful lace bookmarks there (emb library.com)

Totebags , bible covers, eyeglass cases out of church or religious fabric ( if most of them are older, most use glasses

jitkaau 03-13-2014 03:35 AM

How about some kneeling cushions with appropriate designs on them?

illinois 03-13-2014 05:27 AM

refrigerator magnet with a picture of the church and the dates? Or an ornament that is not necessarily a ball. Could be hung somewhere in the house without looking like a Christmas ornament. I have seen some that are "gold' and somewhat like a silhouette with the name of the structure stamped in the border