Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Neosporin is a sulpha drug! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/neosporin-sulpha-drug-t22367.html)

nativetexan 07-06-2009 07:52 AM

I was told long ago to stop using that. use bactracin instead. people were beginning to show up with bad rashes. I'm allergic to Sulpha too actually

Mousie 07-06-2009 08:20 AM

I am allergic to sulfa drugs.
Some of this is confusing to me, but I have an allergist.
Gonna have to write some questions down for him on next visit.
They gave me morphine in the hospital, two years ago, and pain got worse, and another shot, still worse,...ended up keeping me...bc I was having trouble breathing...now I am wondering about all this.
I always tell medical personnel about my sulfa allergy, hmmm

Tippy 07-07-2009 09:59 PM

Dunster is right.. sulfates and sulfa antibiotics are two different things.. however.. the research folks are finding more that there are folks who have allergies to ingredients in neosporin..frequently it's a developed allergy to the neomycin when it is absorbed into the skin and gets into the system.
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/otc/o...contentId=3485
That is a link to the on-line PDR.. you'll notice it does not mention cross over allergies with sulfa drugs. However.. you can be allergic to anything...

BellaBoo 07-08-2009 06:13 AM

My Dr. told me to never use Neosporin with pain relief, just the plain Neosporin. The pain relief stuff is not for open wounds or puncture wounds. It can cause you to have all kinds of nasty reactions.

Minda 07-08-2009 07:12 AM

Dunster, Thanks for the info.

Shemjo 07-08-2009 07:59 PM

Thank you so much for that information. Who knew? Now I do.
I am currently on Prednisone, and an antibiotic and the rash is clearing up nicely.
But now I know what people are talking about when they are on Prednisone, and not sleeping and having a real short fuse. :?

I am on a road trip with my sister and I missed my exit and drove about 150 miles out of the way to my brother's house! I KNOW the way, but I just drove on! I am so tired. :( I missed the sigh for Milwaukee, for crying out loud.

DASDchick 09-04-2009 01:02 AM

Came upon this site while searching Neosporin/sulfa. My doc, too, told me to stop using Neosporin because I have a sulfa allergy. (Spider bite... was healing. Decided to use some Neosporin and now have a gross infection.)

Some drugs have the "chemical structure" of sulfa. I have had sulfa allergy reactions although the drug(s) did not list sulfa as an additive. Chemical structure is when 2 or more drugs combinded form another drug.

I had never used Neosporin and only had a tube because my granddaughter had left some here after a visit. MY bad for not consulting someone before I used it. Fortunately I have a very knowledgable pharmacist friend who can dig much deeper than I into drug structure.

Bottom line...if it's questionable don't use it!

amandasgramma 09-04-2009 06:51 AM

My ex husband was allergic to sulpha, too. He had been using Niquil for bad colds. One time, on a budget kick, I was comparing the labels of a generic cold med compared to Niquil and discovered Niquil has sulpha in it!

As for doctor's knowing....not unusual, there's a TON of meds out there for them to memorize! Ex was in hospital after open heart surgery and kept being "sick"....finally was moved from local hospital to Portland Univ. hospital.....discovered the local doctor and hospital was giving him sulpha drugs! Cost was outrageous, considering! They took him to the Univ. hospital in an ambulance....300 miles!!!!

BellaBoo 09-04-2009 07:31 AM

Always double check and demand point blank an answer from any Dr. It's your life not theirs. You have to ask even the most obvious questions. Call once you leave them if you think of something you want an answer to. Drs. can't be dedicated to one patient 24/7. They can overlook or not think about the obvious while concentrating on the details. A great nurse is more helpful then a good Dr.

Mousie 09-04-2009 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Always double check and demand point blank an answer from any Dr. It's your life not theirs. You have to ask even the most obvious questions. Call once you leave them if you think of something you want an answer to. Drs. can't be dedicated to one patient 24/7. They can overlook or not think about the obvious while concentrating on the details. A great nurse is more helpful then a good Dr.

I heard that! :wink: