Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Amazon.com & Facebook phishing scams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-amazon-com-facebook-phishing-scams-t187954.html)

Scissor Queen 05-05-2012 12:22 PM

The thing is there's _always_ a new phishing scam of one kind or another. There are probably thousands of new ones every day. Think first!!!

ptquilts 05-05-2012 12:52 PM

whenever you get a suspicious email, if you do open it, hold your mouse over any link they want you to click on. then look down the bottom left of your screen and you will see where the link will take you.

For instance it might say log in to your amazon account at www.amazon.com, but when you hover over it you will see it takes you to amazon.badevilpeople.com. Then you know it is a phishing.

Grandma Bonnie 05-05-2012 01:18 PM

I get one or two of these cancellations every day from 'Amazon' for a 'book I've ordered'. I went to Amazon and filled out an email with what they wanted the first time. I know better than to click on anything as I know I haven't ordered anything. Today I got one that was a little different - talking about how to cancel orders if you want to.

Latrinka 05-05-2012 01:42 PM

I don't even open an email unless I know where it's from. Thanks for warning. Just delete them without opening them.

caspharm 05-05-2012 05:19 PM

I just received one of these and just deleted it.

kitsykeel 05-05-2012 07:14 PM

My husband showed me how to get rid of things that pop up and won't delete. Right click on the very bottom of your monitor screen and click "Task Manager." When it pops up delete the annoying ad. It may come back but at least you can get it off your screen. Good luck.

Rose_P 05-05-2012 08:13 PM

I got one today ostensibly from "youtube services" with the subject line "your video has been approved". I didn't upload a video, so I googled around and verified that it is a scam.

Be careful out there. If you get emails from companies that normally don't send emails asking you to click on links, don't click. You can go to their website directly through your address bar and find out if the message originated from them. Snopes.com is a good place to check whether anything is for real or not.

penski 05-05-2012 08:20 PM

thank you for the warning

kuntryquilter 05-06-2012 02:12 AM

I got the same email & so did my husband. We just deleted them w/o opening them. We knew we had not ordered anygthing from Amazon.

auniqueview 05-07-2012 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by matraina (Post 5195951)
If the subject is Amazon.com, that doesn't mean they sent it. Never click on those. Write an e-mail to them yourself and tell them what you got. Lots of people try to send very "official" looking e-mails from different companies. I have been getting e-mails from my dead niece for two years, starting the day after we buried her. Someone stole her e-mail address book. Such a shame how nasty some people can be.

I got one on my yahoo account, and wrote Amazon telling them that I do not and will not have an account using that address. I didn't know if it was someone scamming, or someone who had hacked my yahoo, and was using it to purchase items. I had to change my password recently because someone used it to send out emails.