Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Driving Law - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-driving-law-t127120.html)

MIJul 06-01-2011 06:44 AM

In Michigan it is a $50 fine and possibility of 90 days in jail if you don't move over. It took a few clicks and various web sites, but I finally found the "20 mph" clause. Hmmmm, wonder why we don't all know this.

QBeth 06-01-2011 08:20 AM

NH passed this law recently and posted notices on the road sign electronic bill boards. I think it's wonderful!! We've had too many officers hit, in their car or out of it, lately.

A couple of days ago, spotting a cruiser in the breakdown lane with lights flashing, I pulled over to the next land and slowed down. Unbelievably, the car in front of me not only didn't slow down, they actually pulled half way into the breakdown lane, only a few hundred feet away from the cruiser. They finally pulled over in time but I was sweating it! What is that all about?!?? The jerk.

Susanna10 06-01-2011 11:00 AM

Thank you for sharing. I sent on to my family

Quiltzilla 06-01-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I know we have a similar law here in Texas. Don't know what the fine is.

Actually, Texas was one of the first to pass this law back in 2003. In 2009 they added tow trucks to the list of things you must change lane away from. If you can't change lanes, you must slow down to (the speed-limit) minus (20 mph). If the speed-limit is 25 mph or less, you must pass at 5 mph.

wytetygeress 06-01-2011 02:08 PM

ive been pulled over for this....twice...first time i didn't know about it. Second time I slowed down but didn't move over. Luckly the second time i didn't get the ticket. The first time yea...175 bucks later. ( it was back in 2009).I understand the law. You can beat that i now not only slow down but also pull over -)

grayma 06-01-2011 02:31 PM

I didn't know this, but I always move over because you never know when they are going to pull out for another emergency.

wytetygeress 06-01-2011 04:34 PM

`

squilter 06-01-2011 05:03 PM

Glad to know this, I go to Dyersburg all the time.

Originally Posted by DonnaB
Subject: New Law

NEW driving Law - Even if it weren't a law it makes sense to do it

I was aware of the move over to outer lane and knew to slow down BUT I
didn't know about the 20 mph under speed limit Thought maybe this
might be good information to some. WOW!! $754.00 is a chunk especially
if you are making minimum wage.

This happened to this aunt on the 4 lane right outside of Dyersburg ,
TN a few months ago. Her ticket was over $300 and it cost her 3 points
on her license, too. A state trooper and a county cop had someone else
pulled over. She slowed down and moved over a little, but not all the
way into the other lane. The trooper wasn't understanding at all. Mom
was with her and she didn't know about the law either.

BETTER PAY ATTENTION TO THIS ONE.
AT $754.00 ALMOST LIKE A D.U.I. I knew about the move over law but
had not heard about the speed limit if you cannot move over.

NEW TRAFFIC LAW - 2010
If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you have to
change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow down
to at least 20 mph under the posted speed limit. Every state except
Hawaii and Maryland and the D .C. has this law. In California , the
Move-over law became operative on January 1, 2010.
http://www.moveoveramerica.com/ A friend's son got a ticket for this
recently. A police car (turned out it was two police cars) was on the
side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. He slowed down to
pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car
immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket. He had never heard
of the law. It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency
vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move
into the far lane.

The cost of the ticket was $754, with three points on your license and
a mandatory court appearance. Please let everyone you know that
drives about this new law. It is true (see details at the following
web address).
www.moveoveramerica.com
http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp

aliaslaceygreen 06-01-2011 05:52 PM

About two years ago, my BIL almost cut off three fingers in our garage, attempting to make doll furniture for Christmas presents.

My husband had worked 16 hour shift, and was sleeping when this happened. He woke, bleary and tired, and had to follow the ambulance 3 exits down 95. He slowed down, didn't move over, and he was tagged, because he COULD have moved over.

The judge all but put him in jail. His driving record was good. He had fines, points AND 50 hours of community service. We had never heard of this law before, and there aren't signs up about it...

DonnaB 06-01-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
About two years ago, my BIL almost cut off three fingers in our garage, attempting to make doll furniture for Christmas presents.

My husband had worked 16 hour shift, and was sleeping when this happened. He woke, bleary and tired, and had to follow the ambulance 3 exits down 95. He slowed down, didn't move over, and he was tagged, because he COULD have moved over.

The judge all but put him in jail. His driving record was good. He had fines, points AND 50 hours of community service. We had never heard of this law before, and there aren't signs up about it...

Wow, this is a tough law, good to have a reminder if we didn't know about it. DonnaB