Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Keurig owner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-keurig-owner-t234278.html)

CookyIN 11-09-2013 04:42 AM

Love my Keurig for flavored coffees. For my daily coffee, I have a Mr. Coffee with a thermal pot that keeps it hot instead of it sitting on a burner to keep warm. The coffee stays hot for about six hours with no scorching.

tkee 11-09-2013 05:42 AM

I don't drink coffee even though the rest of my family does, but have discovered it's perfect just for heating a cup of water for tea bags or instant hot chocolate - faster and safer than the microwave or stove.

Geri B 11-09-2013 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT (Post 6394644)
WalMart has little refillable cups that you can use easily without removing the part you have to remove from the Keurig to use their refillable cup. They come in packs of four and we just love them. Their cap is attached so you can't lose it, and all you need to do is put in a scoop of your favorite coffee and pop it in place. Hate the one we bought from Keurig for $16 that does require pulling out the piece that holds the cup. The premade cups are great, but really expensive even when you buy direct. Not to mention the enormous pile of plastic debris left from the disposable ones.

Thanks for the tip..will have to visit the local Walmart and check out their refillable cup. I have probably the cheapest one of the line...only will take max of 10oz. of water at a time....that is 1 cup, whereas the others had a reservoir for water, thus not having to fill for each cup......but I thought I would start at the bottom, if I really want to upgrade....we will see...since it is now only me, this will suffice. Then of course this week went to bed,bath,beyond with coupon in hand and bought the tray to hold the various flavored Kcups, which I know I will invest in, just for fun. Did not want the carousel, takes up too much counter space, for me anyway...this little box,having the one pull out divided drawer,made of bamboo,is fine as the "pot" sits right on top.....same space used...
Thus my new adventure ends........

mjhaess 11-09-2013 07:19 AM

I have had one for a couple years but use it little....I moved it to my new sewing room...I love the hot chocolate.

themachinelady 11-09-2013 07:37 AM

I tried one and did not like it, the coffee was way too strong for both hubby and myself. Guess maybe we aren't true coffee drinkers, I don't know. I loved the hot chocolate from them though even though I thought it was a lot more expensive. I tried their little "do you own coffee thing" and found it was way more messy than I wanted to mess with. I would love the fresh cup at a time, any suggestions from anyone on how not to have such a strong cuppa

SueSew 11-09-2013 08:09 AM

You can choose the amount of water to put through on some models. That is very useful for people who want variation. Also, you can buy light roast, medium roast, and dark roast. I don't use the refillable pod thing in my office because it is too messy. The whole point of the Keurig is quick-and-clean.

If I am going to grind and measure coffee, I just heat water in the tea kettle and pour it over the grounds through my Melita filter. Drop the used filter and grinds in the wastebasket, no mess. Presto!

Cris 11-09-2013 08:22 AM

Amazon has less expensive k-cups. San Francisco bay 80 cups for $29.

Quilty-Louise 11-09-2013 08:23 AM

Last year my husband used his "birthday" money to buy the
"Professional" model at Costco.... it only lasted a week before
it quite working, exchanged it.......2 more times and gave up
on the Keurig brand.

My husband went to Lowes and found a Hamilton Beach brand
it worked GREAT for about 7 months then it stopped brewing
the properly. Returned it and bought the Bunn brand.

So we are on the 5th Keurig brewer within 11 months. I told my
hubs that if this one gives up problems I am giving up on the
blasted things and going back to my 5 cup coffee maker.

I KNOW that I am the exception and that normally most people
don't have THAT many issues. But we sure have.

But I DO love the k-cup coffee.

quiltmau 11-09-2013 08:45 AM

love all three of ours and bought one for a friend. They are the greatest and even tho the k-cups are about US.50 each in the long run it saves money as you don't throw out half pots of coffee and it is always fresh!!

Peckish 11-09-2013 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmau (Post 6395577)
in the long run it saves money as you don't throw out half pots of coffee

Why do you throw out half pots of coffee? Why not simply brew half a pot in the first place? Just sayin.... :thumbup: