Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Nails (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-nails-t46075.html)

Feathers 05-18-2010 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i've had 'improved' nails for years. my own are so soft they bend over the ends of my fingers. my lady does a glue and powder thing to them. i keep them long enough to look nice and short enough to work with. you have to find your own comfort zone. i also have to have the cuticle end filled in every 3-4 weeks (i'm supposed to do it every 2 weeks - too pricey). dh loves the way they look and he picks the nail color.

When I retired 10 years ago I quit having my nails done because I thought I didn't need to spend that extra money but after about a month my DH asked when my nail appt. was? I told him I wasn't going to do it anymore and he said, "too bad, I really like your nice nails!" Guess what I did immediately, got an appt. and have been doing them ever since. He would LIKE to pick out the color polish but I don't like fire engine red or Halloween Orange polish so I get to do the color choice.
:lol: :lol:

reach for the stars 2 05-18-2010 09:22 AM

Thanks for all the info. I still have them, so I'll give them a chance. It's been awhile since I had them I'll wait and see

butterflywing 05-18-2010 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i've had 'improved' nails for years. my own are so soft they bend over the ends of my fingers. my lady does a glue and powder thing to them. i keep them long enough to look nice and short enough to work with. you have to find your own comfort zone. i also have to have the cuticle end filled in every 3-4 weeks (i'm supposed to do it every 2 weeks - too pricey). dh loves the way they look and he picks the nail color.

When I retired 10 years ago I quit having my nails done because I thought I didn't need to spend that extra money but after about a month my DH asked when my nail appt. was? I told him I wasn't going to do it anymore and he said, "too bad, I really like your nice nails!" Guess what I did immediately, got an appt. and have been doing them ever since. He would LIKE to pick out the color polish but I don't like fire engine red or Halloween Orange polish so I get to do the color choice.
:lol: :lol:

LOL :lol: :lol: guess i'm lucky. deep dark red almost like burgandy is the way he leans. nothing flashy. :lol: my skin color is a little too dark to go the pink or beige route.

Jingle 05-18-2010 01:31 PM

I kept my nails until I had my 1st Baby, I cut them and haven't had them long again. I've known girls and young women with the long decorated nails and they don't do anything that will mess them up, it is'nt cheap. I keep mine short and I can do anything I need or want to do.

Gwyn 05-18-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
I thought I would like longer nails. So had them done. Now I can't type so well or quilt as fast. Sure waste of my money. I don't know how those ladies do it. I guess I'll go back to stubby nails. lol

It took a little practice, but I can type about 90 wpm and still play the piano. I can't have hugely long nails, but they are not stubs anymore. Keep working at it and I bet you can get the hang of it. I wouldn't trade my nails for anything. (Except the piano!)

Joeysnana 05-18-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
For those with weak nails, I'll tell you what my grandmother handed down to us...Garlic, and I don't mean eat it. Rub it on your nails before you go to bed and put on some cotton gloves. Your nails will become strong guaranteed. Also, no chance of vampires attacking you while you sleep! Try it and tell me how you like it.

I am going to try that!! I have never had nice nails and can't stand the feel of the artificial ones. Tried them and hated them.

Gramof6 05-18-2010 09:26 PM

At WalMart on the aisle with Vitamins, I buy Biotin. It is for skin, hair & nails. My Dr said it will not hurt anyone so I have been on it for about 9 months. My skin is not near as dry & flaky as it normally is or was this past Winter and my hair grows much faster. My nails are strong and they grow pretty fast now also.

I had my nails done for over 10 yrs and 2 years ago, just got tired of the hassle of fills and new sets and what not. My own nails were like paper they were so thin. Tried hardeners & products & even soaked them in Olive Oil every day for a few minutes. Nothing worked until I started taking the Biotin. I am sold on the stuff. My DD has had great success with it also. And it sure isn't our good eating habits. LOL

polly13 05-19-2010 06:53 AM

I've got it on my Wal-mart shopping list. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by Gramof6
At WalMart on the aisle with Vitamins, I buy Biotin. It is for skin, hair & nails. My Dr said it will not hurt anyone so I have been on it for about 9 months. My skin is not near as dry & flaky as it normally is or was this past Winter and my hair grows much faster. My nails are strong and they grow pretty fast now also.

I had my nails done for over 10 yrs and 2 years ago, just got tired of the hassle of fills and new sets and what not. My own nails were like paper they were so thin. Tried hardeners & products & even soaked them in Olive Oil every day for a few minutes. Nothing worked until I started taking the Biotin. I am sold on the stuff. My DD has had great success with it also. And it sure isn't our good eating habits. LOL

zz-pd 05-19-2010 08:47 AM

I had that once, and went home and filed them down to a length I could tolarate. yep waste of money. God bless. Penny