Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Range (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-range-t274153.html)

true4uca 01-05-2016 09:04 AM

New Range

We were window shopping new stoves yesterday. Another want, maybe. I saw Porcelain oven racks. You can leave them in the oven while using the self clean feature. Anyone have these.

NJ Quilter 01-05-2016 09:31 AM

I don't. But what I do have are porcelain burner racks on my gas stove. I had DH cleaning them the other day and he mentioned the possibility of putting them in the oven on self clean. Haven't researched it but would be very curious.

QuiltnNan 01-05-2016 09:33 AM

i'd love to have those!

kayluvs2quilt 01-05-2016 09:58 AM

We have those in our gas range...they are wonderful. Just leave them in the oven and do the self-clean.

ManiacQuilter2 01-05-2016 09:58 AM

A while back ago, I heard that the self cleaning features takes a huge amount of electrical power.

nativetexan 01-05-2016 12:34 PM

oh yes, my oven gets up to 900 degrees. i hardly ever use it. should, the oven glass window looks bad.

rjwilder 01-06-2016 08:15 AM

I have used the self cleaning feature once in 5 years. The porcelain racks did come out clean and so did the oven. The smell and the heat were the downside. I opened the windows so I didn't benefit from the heat to keep warm. As far as the glass window in the door, I clean it with oven cleaner in the spray can. I spray it on paper towels and wipe the window clean. My husband taught me that trick because that's how he cleans the glass door of the pellet stove.

Mousie 01-06-2016 08:53 AM

After 38 years of only having gas ranges, circumstances called for a new stove and I decided
to get the one my dd has loved and it's electric.
I'm trying really hard to learn what numbers to cook with for different purposes. I sometimes
scorch things that I thought were on a low enough number.
My husband says that electric stoves concentrate the most heat right where the coils are
under the pot and he must be right bc that is where the scorched food adheres.
Any advice? I do love the stove, but hate this awful learning phase.

mermaid 01-06-2016 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 7424699)
oh yes, my oven gets up to 900 degrees. i hardly ever use it. should, the oven glass window looks bad.

I clean mine fairly often and we don't notice any spikes in our utility bill. One good hint is to schedule a cleaning immediately after baking/roasting...the oven has a head start on heating up. I agree that gas stove burner racks clean wonderfully, my 2nd oven has liners that I remove and put in self clean oven. I also agree that there is unpleasant smell, but I can endure easier than using my own elbow grease!

quiltbuddy 01-07-2016 04:42 AM

I have a stove with racks that you can leave in with the self cleaning feature and love them. The stove is an electric induction with a glass top. It's so much cleaner than gas, By the way, do not leave pet birds in the same room when running the self cleaning feature, the fumes will kill them. I only run it when I can open up, in the spring or fall.