Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   new washing machine and dryer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-washing-machine-dryer-t316342.html)

Stitchnripper 09-10-2021 02:31 PM

I got a new washer/dryer about 4 years ago. It is a top loader with an agitator, HE, but, I can lift the lid while it is filling and washing, but not spinning, and does have the feature to add more water. I have been satisfied with it. It has a few presoak settings so I soak my quilts to make sure the Elmers Washable School glue I use to baste is all out. My cousin and my friend each got the Speed Queen. very happy with it, but, cousin had to have a new drain put in because the machine was so powerful what they had was not adequate. Friend's husband figured out a workaround for the drain issue. Has to do with a towel wedged in, watching it in case it falls out and water goes everywhere. This isn't a deterrent to them, just something to watch out for. We are low dirt producers, being retired, don't garden, work on equipment, do our own lawn work, etc. Just putter around the house, go for a walk, etc. so the machine seems perfectly fine to get things clean. I also discovered soap sheets - they are small rectangles that go into the washer instead of a liquid, pod, or powder, and really for me do a good job. They are only available on amazon (many different types/varieties/manufacturers) or from the company itself. I am not against using Amazon, so order from there. Takes up so much less room and easier to deal with.

Onebyone 09-10-2021 03:29 PM

My top loader has no agitator and fills by weight. I by pass all of that and use the Deep Fill option every time. It gets full to the top with water. The Bulky/bedsheets option fills to the top too. DH dismantled the lid lock, it' electric so just unplugged it from the controls

Onebyone 09-10-2021 04:06 PM

Lowes and Home Depot have a lot on the showroom floor but very few in the warehouse. The smaller appliance stores here see to have the best stock but are more expensive and charge higher delivery fee and won't take the old appliance away.

Anniedeb 09-10-2021 07:50 PM

I'm fortunate that both my DH and Son are trained in most appliance repair! My washer and dryer have been fixed several times. I love my top load heavy duty washer, with agitator, and load size selection. What I'm not a fan of are my oven ranges! Unfortunately, both our home and our cabin ranges went bad at about the same time. Both had cracked/rusted gas lines. Installed new ones in late May. By the end of June, the cabin one quit working completely! No problem we thought...it's under warranty. Took 7 different calls, and until late August to get it fixed! Evidently not only is there an appliance shortage, there is a parts shortage as well!!

Jingle 09-11-2021 01:11 PM

My last two washers and dryers have been Maytags and were/are terrific. Them and several others are made by Whirlpool.
In the USA.

sak658 09-11-2021 01:38 PM

Waiting on fridge

My daughter and son-in-law built a new home, and they made a suite for me..they ordered a full refridge (no freezer) about 8 months ago..we moved into the new home in April and they still haven't received the refridgerator, they have the one from the house they sold, in the garage...they say it maybe Dec or next year before they get the fridge..it's a bit of hassle to use a fridge in the garage..but we are use to it now...but still annoyed it is taking so long...I'm afraid we are in for a lot of changes in this world we live in now..We have 2 freezers, so are able to store things..they can't use just any fridge, they have a custom built opening for the one they ordered in the kitchen..so haven't found one that will fit..maybe one day...things may get back to normal before Covid..prayers for everyone..

Onebyone 09-11-2021 04:13 PM

All the parts are made overseas no matter if the assembly is in the US. Made in US means put together here I guess. The sewing machine dealers are really hurting because no parts for the high end machines are being shipped and the customers have their thousands plus dollars machines in for repair. My friend has been without her machine for over six months now waiting for a new sensor. . Her ten thousand dollar machine is useless and she is sewing on an old Kenmore. She said she was foolish to buy such an expensive machine to begin with. Can't even sell it and the dealer won't take it as trade in because it needs repair and no predicting when it can be repaired.

Onebyone 09-17-2021 01:44 PM

I made a stop to the LQS and Brother/Juki/BabyLock dealer this afternoon. A woman was there and was very unhappy, almost in tears. She bought a new Luminaire in May and it needs a part replaced, under warranty, but no part to replace it with. The machine will not sew. She has thousands in this machine and it's no use to her. She asked the dealer for a replacement to use until the part was available but the dealer said she couldn't lose that much money by giving her a new one to use then it would be used. The repairman came out and said he had called every place and no parts were available. I told her about my friend was in the same shape with her machine, waiting for a part. I would not even consider buying any high end computer machine at this time.

cashs_mom 09-18-2021 07:07 AM

That would be so sad, Onebyone. I've heard the same stories over and over about a lot of shortages.

My husband has a car that was made in Australia in a collaboration between GM and Holden (Australian auto manufacturer) and there were shortages of body parts even before the lock down. Now, if you are in accident, it can take 6 months to get a new fender or door for the car. There are stories out there about guys who have cars under warranty that have been sitting at the dealerships for months waiting for a part to complete the work. Its awful for those people.

sewingpup 09-18-2021 11:41 AM

I have been not so patiently waiting for my carrying case for my new bernina embroidery unit....Can't even find out where it is stuck in transit. Does anyone even know?