Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   No Black Friday Shopping, anyone else refrain? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/no-black-friday-shopping-anyone-else-refrain-t308365.html)

Tish05 11-30-2019 06:20 PM

My local LQS had their first Black Friday sale yesterday. It was buy 2 meters, get 1 free. I have three quilt projects lined up for when I finish the quilt I'm currently working on. I have one fabric for 1 and I decided I want to make a disappearing 4 patch in two colours, so I needed a second fabric for that, plus some fireside fleece for the back. Also I picked up a couple of Christmas panels and I want to try a sort of attic window with one so needed some brown for the window frames. All totaled it came to $123.00 and I had 9 meters of fabric. :)

SusieQOH 11-30-2019 06:20 PM

Tothill, Me too. Each Christmas season my husband and I go to the mall, usually just once, for the fun of it. We buy some gifts and then have dinner at a nice restaurant. It's always fun and I do like seeing the decorations and people strolling around.

tranum 11-30-2019 06:45 PM

Years ago with small grandkids to buy for, DH would drive me to stores on Black Friday but now they get money so that’s over. Stores that get all the traffic are on other side of town so quiet where we live.

I did drive to a consignment store in our area as they had 50% off & found 6 cardigan sweaters for DD who says she’s cold at work & needed some. Just 2 other shoppers in there. We’ll go downtown some Saturday for lunch & walk around.

Someone put it this way: people go out & trample each other for “stuff” on the day after we express thanks for what we have. Go figure !

kristijoy 11-30-2019 07:40 PM

I bought a ticket to a homeschool conference (was planning on attending anyway) and a American History magazine subscription for my son. Nothing outrageous. And I did it all online!

I looked for other homeschool curriculum sales, but didn't find anything I needed to purchase just yet.

kristijoy 11-30-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN (Post 8334672)
I worked in retail for over 20 years and there isn't any bargain good enough to get me to go out on black Friday, the day after Christmas, or any of the Sats. after Thanksgiving!! Not even the $2.50/yd. truckload "specials" they brought in at the lqs will lure me in. If you watch the ads, almost all of the great "bargains" from this weekend will be on sale again sometime before Christmas. I'm not a Grinch or a scrooge, I just won't fight those crazy crowds for "while quantities last" items.

I worked in retail for many years too. Kind-of jaded my opinion about shopping! LOL!

Tothill 11-30-2019 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tish05 (Post 8334680)
My local LQS had their first Black Friday sale yesterday. It was buy 2 meters, get 1 free. I have three quilt projects lined up for when I finish the quilt I'm currently working on. I have one fabric for 1 and I decided I want to make a disappearing 4 patch in two colours, so I needed a second fabric for that, plus some fireside fleece for the back. Also I picked up a couple of Christmas panels and I want to try a sort of attic window with one so needed some brown for the window frames. All totaled it came to $123.00 and I had 9 meters of fabric. :)

I was in Beiseker for the Parade this year. My sister in law has Ancora Decor. Marnie sent me down to the quilt shop. I was in there twice that day and she had 25% off almost everything. I did not realize the sale at first and had to go back for more. You are lucky to have such a lovely quilt shop in your small town. I will go there again next year when I go back to visit family.

WMUTeach 12-01-2019 03:30 AM

No shopping for me except a birthday gift of season tickets for a local choir. No discount beyond the senior discount normally given. Black Friday was "quilt 'til your fingers hurt day".

lindaschipper 12-01-2019 04:55 AM

I purchased the new Missouri Star Hexie template for $2.50... being the big spender that I am.

luvstoquilt 12-01-2019 05:32 AM

My grandchildren are older now so I give them money. My great grandson is 3 and I am still not sure what to do for him. He has a lot of toys so he may get money too. I am not a serious shopper anymore. I miss NYC and all the beautiful stores. I went into Macy’s in Naperville and it was a mess. This time of year I really extra miss my husband. We always took a Friday off work and shopped all weekend, saw the tree in Rockefeller Center, ate at special restaurants,etc. lots of wonderful memories. I only give gifts to the grandchildren..we all agree we want nothing so we donate. Christmas is more like a glittery Thanksgiving now.

Doggramma 12-01-2019 06:50 AM

No shopping - I thought about it though. And I’ve been getting tons of emails about specials. Who knows what happens in the next 2 days!