Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   NO NO TELL ME IT ISN"T TRUE!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/no-no-tell-me-isn%22t-true-t75679.html)

Lneal 11-11-2010 10:06 AM

I have started stocking up on canned goods. I just started my economics class in college and my instructor said we will see inflation next year. One principle of economics is "prices rise when the government prints too much money."
Look out inflation!!

cjomomma 11-11-2010 10:07 AM

I guess we could always use our quilts as trades for food.

ginnie6 11-11-2010 10:19 AM

50 lb for the winter? lol! we can go thru that in a month! There are 8 of us though and I cook everything from scratch.

grann of 6 11-11-2010 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Let the prices keep going up, my family is too fat anyway. There is more than 1 way to lose weight and in the future it may be thru starvation. I've already learned to live without the chocolate.

Doesn't bother me either. Can't eat chocolate, gives me migraine headaches. But they had better not raise the price of the red Twizzlers!!!

pittsburgpam 11-11-2010 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I guess we could always use our quilts as trades for food.

My thoughts exactly. In really bad times we can use any scrap of fabric just like our ancestors did. It's not out of the realm of possibility that there can be major shortages, just look back at WWII. Food rationing, saving and re-using everything you can.

Probably not a bad idea to stock up on fabric when there are major sales on good quality stuff. :wink:

Honey 11-11-2010 11:32 AM

If prices go up that much, I guess I will be like my parents during the depression and only eat meat when DH can hunt. They got protein from other sources. And, if it gets that bad, people will have animals and gardens even if the ordinances say no. I know that city ordnance or not, I will have chickens. That way we can have eggs and some meat. People will have to learn to can and preserve if they want to survive. I will use every inch of space I have for vegetables. My DD and DS have big yards, so they both can have animals and gardens. Everyone in a family will have to pitch in and pull together.

mollymct 11-11-2010 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
hmm? I wonder if cocoa plants will grow in Oregon LOL.

Or in Mississippi...coffee, too. Gee, the future is looking grim.

Dollysquiltingmom 11-11-2010 11:46 AM

OH NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

ginnie6 11-11-2010 11:48 AM

well you know the thing to keep in mind is that people survived BEFORE coffee and chocolate......(typed that as I sat here enjoying my tiny little piece of chocolate and my cup of coffee) and so will we!

Dragonfly Nana 11-11-2010 11:48 AM

When we say the story my DH said we should "buy stock"
He meant invest in the industry but I was thinking buy stock....as in stock up on chocolate!