Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   non-electric heater? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/non-electric-heater-t171470.html)

redkimba 12-09-2011 07:41 AM

non-electric heater?

Any recommendations on an indoor heater that does not run on electricity? I'm thinking of getting one for in case we go through another round of rolling black-outs this winter. (having an electric heater would not help...)

DJ 12-09-2011 08:08 AM

We use our gas stove. We have a generator that should be able to run a small space heater. We have a through-wall electrical plug, so we don't have to have a door or window open to get power into the house. Since we got the generator a couple years ago, we haven't lost power. It's good insurance against power outage, but rather expensive.

NikkiLu 12-09-2011 09:42 AM

We put a ventless gas wall-mounted heater (propane) in our living room after being without power for 11 days in "07 due to our horrible ice storm. Our living room is the coldest room in the house anyway, so this can be turned on when the room is a little cool. It would keep that room and the dining/kitchen warm during a power outage if turned on "high"
The gas company came out and installed it.

HTH - hope this helps.

Kitsie 12-09-2011 01:22 PM

Just yesterday bought a kerosene 23000 BTU heater to replace using electric heat. The Dura Glo has all 5 star ratings. We'll see! Right now the wick is soaking for another 30 mins.

Tink's Mom 12-09-2011 03:01 PM

Please be extra careful with these...you may need to vent the room a bit for safety.

athomenow 12-09-2011 03:13 PM

We keep our Kerosun in the garage for DH to work out there sometimes. If need be we would bring it in and we have a gas fireplace that we can turn on. Just be careful to vent whatever you use. Too many people die from using heaters with poor ventilation.

Kitsie 12-09-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom (Post 4766732)
Please be extra careful with these...you may need to vent the room a bit for safety.

Thanks Susie! Dumb me just spend 1/2 hr ventilating the house and trying to get the smoke alarm to stay off! Usually the stupid thing ignores burning food but goes off for steam from boiling water!! Manual = small odor and smoke when lit the first time. NOT! Anyway, even on the lowest heat my house is cozy now! Kerosene is usually about $54 but our local feed store had it on for $29.99!!

pocoellie 12-09-2011 04:38 PM

We had a propane heater installed in the studio for my mom, it didn't require electricity to run, had a piezo electric starter, the reason we got that one was because it didn't use electricity. Do you have a local gas company? If so, I would contact them, they will usually sell them and install them. They can run on gas or be retrofitted for propane.

Jingle 12-09-2011 07:47 PM

We have a wood burning stove to help warm dining, living and kitchen, gas heat in rest of house. Husband wanted to get a ventless insert for dismantled fireplace. I have a Cockatiel and afraid there may be some fumes that would kill her. Not worth the risk.

Gramma B 12-09-2011 07:57 PM

Our fireplace is a gas one set on a therometer so any time the power goes out, we still have heat. Just don't have the fan running. It's our backup heat source. We use our generator for the fridge, freezer... those kind of things.