Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   non quilting use for batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/non-quilting-use-batting-t235418.html)

donnalynett 11-25-2013 11:21 AM

Our quilting group makes pillows 12"x12" for hospice patients. We have a lot of leftover batting scraps from the quilts we also make for them so we shred it finely and use it for stuffing the pillows. Be sure and wear a mask if you do this.

annievee 11-25-2013 11:42 AM

I use batting, scraps, etc as packing material also. Sometimes I get it back as my sis reuses it in our package--recycling !

madamekelly 11-25-2013 12:01 PM

I stuff my swifter duster handle down into a piece of batting to de-fuzz my ceiling fan. I have to de-fuzz it because malamute hair sticks to everything. Good thing I love my dog. Lol.

Sandra in Minnesota 11-25-2013 12:47 PM

My husband was a duct tape-WD40 fanatic. We buried him with a container of WD 40 and a roll of duct tape. Heaven no longer squeeks or moves!

cathyvv 11-25-2013 01:41 PM

That would worry me. Batting over a stove, even when covered with aluminum foil. seems like a very bad idea.

cathyvv 11-25-2013 01:43 PM

Excellent!

cathyvv 11-25-2013 01:50 PM

I don't think I'd put any kind of fabric or batting inside a switch. Switches sometimes spark, and fabric burns. Nope, not something I would even remotely consider, although my DH probably would. I'd spend a few bucks on the right part for the switch and sleep better at night.

madamekelly 11-25-2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 6424112)
That would worry me. Batting over a stove, even when covered with aluminum foil. seems like a very bad idea.

The fumes could be toxic whether or not it melts or catches fire. Please don't leave it?

RugosaB 11-26-2013 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 6424121)
I don't think I'd put any kind of fabric or batting inside a switch. Switches sometimes spark, and fabric burns. Nope, not something I would even remotely consider, although my DH probably would. I'd spend a few bucks on the right part for the switch and sleep better at night.

The switch's sole purpose is that when the cover is off the furnace, the furnace won't ignite. It is mainly a safety thing that means the cover HAS to be on because there are so many moving parts right there if the cover is off.

The product that was there looked very much like a polyester batting type product and since the furnace is 25 years old (had to ask him when we put it in) it just wore in that spot. Maybe that's why he chose polyester?

The switch is always on, just off when we take off the cover, and the batting itself is covered by duct tape

tessagin 11-26-2013 08:07 AM

LOL! I have given my DH batting and other things quilting/sewing to use to fix this or that. Often he'll ask if "I" have something like this or that. We just laugh!