Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Non-Washable Fabric Glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/non-washable-fabric-glue-t264090.html)

daniele1234 04-16-2015 08:49 AM

Non-Washable Fabric Glue

Hi, everyone! I am new to this site, so please forgive me if I make any mistakes. Anyway, I am needing to glue (without sewing) two pieces of fabric together on one of my pair of jeans, but after doing this, they will have to go on the was (obviously) to keep clean. The only thing I am worried about is if, while it is in the wash, the glue comes off and I am back to square 1 again. Have any of you had (or seen) non-washable fabric glue before, and if so could you please tell me where to get it. Thank you

Thanks

ckcowl 04-16-2015 08:59 AM

there is permanent fabric glue which once dry does not wash away. just read the packaging to make sure you choose a permanent glue, not a wash away, water soluble one
e

feline fanatic 04-16-2015 08:59 AM

You can search for "Permanent fabric glue" on the net or try walmart or Joannes. You can also use a fusible where you apply heat.

The issue with most permanent fabric glues is they leave a hard spot so it might not be very comfortable on a pair of jeans. The fusibles are a bit more pliable but also feel stiff compared to no glue at all. No glue at all means you would have to sew (most likely by hand)

FabStripper 04-16-2015 09:01 AM

Can you use a piece of double sided interfacing that is sticky on both sides? Does it have to be fabric glue?

Onebyone 04-16-2015 09:28 AM

Elmer's All Purpose Glue will hold up during wash and drying. Long long ago I use to use it to put new stripes on my DH's military uniform. I couldn't sew the thick patches by hand and didn't have a sewing machine. They held up just fine. He never knew they were't sewn. They passed all the inspections.

Kitsie 04-17-2015 07:35 AM

I've used Aleenes's OK to Wash It for years and it does a very good job.

tessagin 04-17-2015 07:44 AM

I bought curtains for my living room and didn't have a sewing machine at the time. I used iron on fusible. Then shortly after my niece was in a skit at school and she and a friend needed jeans to really flare like with lace and the jeans needed to be lengthened. Used permanent fabric glue and fusible iron on and some hand stitching. She still has the jeans. her daughter likes to wear them every once in awhile. They get washed often and are still in tact.

madamekelly 04-17-2015 10:42 AM

Aleene's "OK to Wash It" is a permanent fabric glue, just be sure both fabrics have been washed, with NO fabric softener, and once it is dry it is as permanent as you can get with fabric. ( I still sew around the edges after it dries just for security.)

meanmom 04-19-2015 04:33 AM

Ok to wash it works well. What about using a fusible? Heat and bond works well. One kind of heat and bond you cna sew ove the other kind ( fuses better ) you can't sew. It is available at JoAnns.