Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Nook or Kindle? why and why not (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/nook-kindle-why-why-not-t91002.html)

BKrenning 01-16-2011 10:15 AM

I use my smartphone for both Kindle & Nook books. Also MS Reader and Adobe formats. It is smaller than the readers so the screen size might not be the best but it's one less thing I have to carry around or find another outlet for the charger.

I understand the craze about the e-book readers but I was all ready reading e-books on my smart phone before the first Kindle hit the market so didn't really understand the fuss.

The good thing for me is that with everyone & their brother now owning a Kindle, Nook or Ipad--more & more books are available for download and I can read almost any book I want on my phone and can get the best price since it can handle so many different formats.

charwhit 01-16-2011 10:27 AM

I have a nook that I got for xmas. I did a lot of research on both and thought that the nook was the better one. Especially since I can get books from public library,it will save me lots of money on buying books

liminanc 01-16-2011 12:33 PM

I have an Ipod touch, that I have the kindle app for, have had it for 2 yrs and love it. B&N has an app but it wont download correctly for me.

Lady Shivesa 01-16-2011 01:04 PM

Well, as you an see from what most people are saying the Nook is cool if you want to be able to get library books on it.

Working at Best Buy, I get this question ALL the time.

But from what you're saying (don't like the touch screen, do like keyboard, etc), the Kindle might be a good option.

My favorite part about e-readers in general is that they are very friendly toward new authors/self-publishers. I have one writer friend (I'ma writer myself, though I haven't published any ebooks yet) who has one out on Kindle's website (check it out: Keary Taylor's 'Branded.').

Either way, I think you will definitely be satisfied. :) Both the Nook and the Kindle hold well over 1,000 books! O.o

canmitch1971 01-16-2011 01:14 PM

My husband got me a Kobo for Christmas. I took it to Jamaica with me and loved it. It is so compact and handy.

DogHouseMom 01-16-2011 01:28 PM

Have you considered listening to books as opposed to reading them? I download books to my IPOD then listen to them ... pretty much everywhere. Planes, while gardening, while sewing, cleaning house, and most important - my IPOD hooks up to a USB in my car so I listen to books while driving (and it keeps it charged at the same time). I find listening very enjoyable, I get the same experience sometimes more if the narrator is good (and they usually are), and I have the freedom of doing something else at the same time. Some libraries have a subscription to a service that you can use, mine however does not so I subscribe to Audible (which is Amazon's verbal sister).

Sue

sandyl 01-16-2011 01:47 PM

With the Nook you can also listen to your fav music while you read., tho I haven't tried that yet. All of the features that have been mentioned that are available with the Kindle are also on the Nook. Plus Nook is now in color! I like the loan book feature. I can loan a book to my DD who also has a Nook. I don't know if Kindle has that ability.

Christine27 01-16-2011 05:49 PM

I have a Kindle and love it. I love the Text to Speech feature because I can continue my "reading" while doing other things. I've heard that Amazon is adding the ability to loan books, but I haven't learned how to do it yet.

Edie 01-17-2011 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Have you considered listening to books as opposed to reading them? I download books to my IPOD then listen to them ... pretty much everywhere. Planes, while gardening, while sewing, cleaning house, and most important - my IPOD hooks up to a USB in my car so I listen to books while driving (and it keeps it charged at the same time). I find listening very enjoyable, I get the same experience sometimes more if the narrator is good (and they usually are), and I have the freedom of doing something else at the same time. Some libraries have a subscription to a service that you can use, mine however does not so I subscribe to Audible (which is Amazon's verbal sister).

I was going to ask the same question. What I haven't found out yet is how many audio books can you get on and iPOD. I don't really want to listen to them immediately, but maybe down the road a piece. I have a lot of books on CD's and tape. Our library sells the ones they want to get rid of for fifty cents and at the rate I am buying them I will have my own library. I love listening to books. I just cannot sit still long enough to read. I love to sew and listen to a book. I am very fortunate in that after being slammed by an 18 wheeler 1-1/2 years ago and totaling out our car, my husband and I got a 2002 Honda CR-V and it has AM/FM/Cassette/Disc for the entertainment system and I am as pleased as punch because I can pop a tape, listen to it in the house, take it out, put it in my purse, go drive somewhere and listen to it in the car, or same thing with a CD. Basically, that is all I had to say, except that it would be nice to sit out in the yard with the iPOD and listen to a book, without having to drag 50-eleven feet of extension cords, to get to my comfort zone in the yard. Have a nice day. Edie PS - we do have a USB port in the car too!!!!!!!

Sue

reneebobby 01-17-2011 05:19 AM

I have the Nook and love it. I love the fact that I can lone books, download free books, buy them and go to the library for free books too. Besides, if you have a Barnes and Noble close by at least if you have a question you can take your nook to them and they will help you with it.