Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   North kansas city missouri (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/north-kansas-city-missouri-t266360.html)

scrapnut 06-13-2015 10:38 AM

North kansas city missouri

Hope to make a business trip/anniversary trip to this area in July. Other than Missouri Star Quilt Company, which I will be devoting a large portion of one day to, are there any quilt stores you would recommend to visit? My husband's hobby is wood-turning. Does anyone know of any good shopping adventures for this craft as well?

For those of you who live in the Kansas City area, what part of town do you recommend avoiding in order to not become a potential victim of crime. Sorry, I work in law enforcement and this is the first thing I think of when planning vacations and mapping hotels stays. Just the nature of my beast.

Thank you for you help.

Blackberry 06-14-2015 05:24 AM

You should plan to visit Peddler's Wagon in Parkville. There are also other neat places to visit in this small quaint town. I would pretty much steer clear of the prospect, troost, paseo area. These are street names.

pahega 06-15-2015 04:55 AM

Cameron, MO is just a few miles from Hamilton, and there is a good shop there--Crossroads Quilting. I also think that Jan Patek has a shop there but have not been to it. On the east side of Kansas City, there is an awesome shop called Quilters Station in Lee's Summit. It has gorgeous hand dyed wools, flannels, cottons, lots of notions. Sorry, but I don't have any suggestions for wood turning. Have fun!

scarlet14 06-15-2015 05:39 AM

Be sure to go to Jamesport Mo---an awesome Amish community---interesting shops and great food---a quilt shop there too

nonnaof5 06-15-2015 07:12 AM

Quilter's Station in Lee's Summit, is another great shop ( can't say they are the friendliest in the state) but great selection and large sale room.

maryfrang 06-15-2015 09:41 AM

Check the web site for Missouri State Quilters. They use to have listing of quilt shop in the state. Also search under quilt shops in Missouri. I have found some on that site too. Just check them out before you go there. Some have closed and neither list is updated all the time.

IBQUILTIN 06-15-2015 03:40 PM

Don't know of any of these places, but am bookmarking. I will soon be moving to OKlahoma and will visit the St Louis area frequently. We will be in the Stillwater area of OK ( Go Cowboys, home of OSU) and I hope to get to meet some of the Oklahoma quilters from the board,

scrapnut 06-15-2015 07:39 PM

Thanks to everyone. Great input!!! I am really looking forward to this trip. Need to take care of some busines and more importantly CHILL with the hubby!!

happylab 06-16-2015 11:00 AM

The one thing about area, it has a good selection of good quilt stores. Quilter's quarters used to be in Leavenworth, closed, but I hear another quilt/sewing shop has opened at the same location. Haven't visited yet.

If you don.t mind going into KS (it's a hour's drive of NKC), they have some pretty good shops as well.

Highwy 36, toward Hamilton and well beyond has a shop hop going on during the summer. Check it out on the internet.

Janie67 06-16-2015 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by scrapnut (Post 7225574)
Hope to make a business trip/anniversary trip to this area in July. Other than Missouri Star Quilt Company, which I will be devoting a large portion of one day to, are there any quilt stores you would recommend to visit? My husband's hobby is wood-turning. Does anyone know of any good shopping adventures for this craft as well?

For those of you who live in the Kansas City area, what part of town do you recommend avoiding in order to not become a potential victim of crime. Sorry, I work in law enforcement and this is the first thing I think of when planning vacations and mapping hotels stays. Just the nature of my beast.

Thank you for you help.

My friends and I just did a girls trip to MSQC and had a great time. We stayed just off I-35 at Cameron at a motel recommended to us called the Acorn which was located by a truck stop and gave us a discount because we were visiting the MSQC. we also stopped at an excellent shop in Cameron west of I -35. Few blocks called Crossroad Quilts . MSQC stays open until 8pm during the summer and was not crowded at all. If you are planning on doing some of the quilts featured in the magazine from MSQC you might plan which ones and write down the number of pre cuts needed as it is a little overwhelming when you get there. The hamburger place in town was excellent and the bakery looked good but was closed in the evening.