Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Nostalgia for old magazines (or old versions of some that are still published) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/nostalgia-old-magazines-old-versions-some-still-published-t203555.html)

bearisgray 10-18-2012 07:38 AM

Nostalgia for old magazines (or old versions of some that are still published)

I really miss the fiction/stories that used to be in magazines.

Remember when Good Housekeeping had some fiction in it? At least a couple of short stories and a longer one.

Remember when Reader's Digest had a condensed version of some fiction? Remember when Reader's Digest did not have ANY ads in it? Remember when the articles were continuous (as in when on page 18 the article was continued on page 19)? And it had more pages in it!

Any other fond memories of magazines that have changed or no longer exist?

luvstoquilt 10-18-2012 07:49 AM

YEP! Remember REDBOOK? It had several stories and then a novel that sometimes was in 2 or 3 parts. Also I remember McCall's magazine had paper dolls "Betsy McCall" and sometimes a quilt pattern! Reader's Digest was a family favorite for many years...remember the art work on the back cover?

jeank 10-18-2012 07:54 AM

Magazines are going the way of the newspapers. People just don't purchase them like they used to. The media is having a hard time hanging on. Everyone has been getting their information from the internet.

As a library employee, I still promote the printed material. I tell people you still need libraries, but it is hard to get the message across especially at election time to renew our operating millage.

crafty pat 10-18-2012 08:12 AM

I used to could linger over them for days, now I give them a quick glance and toss them. I have stopped buying all but the quilting magazines. But I remember how I used to look forward to each one when it came out. We are losing so much in out fast paced digital world.

alwayslearning 10-18-2012 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by jeank (Post 5594680)
Magazines are going the way of the newspapers. People just don't purchase them like they used to. The media is having a hard time hanging on. Everyone has been getting their information from the internet.

As a library employee, I still promote the printed material. I tell people you still need libraries, but it is hard to get the message across especially at election time to renew our operating millage.

Our county commission, despite what the people wanted, just turned the library over to an out of state business. And I agree, there is nothing like holding the book or magazine in your hands, especially when you are reading to a child and there are all those great illustrations!

Neesie 10-18-2012 11:53 AM

I used to love magazines but nowadays, it seems most of them have more ads, than articles. The good ones are also harder to find, unless one happens to have a local bookstore. I know there are subscriptions but I prefer to pick-and-choose issues.

QuiltnNan 10-18-2012 12:22 PM

i even liked the classified ads at the back of the magazines

mrs. fitz 10-18-2012 04:30 PM

Just today it was announced that Newsweek will cease publication as a magazine the end of the year and will be digital only. Along with the miracles of technology come some drawbacks. Personally I like the feel of a magazine in my hands, turning the pages, taking my time or rushing thru, and a popular magazine on a computer screen just won't do it for me.

ptquilts 10-19-2012 03:04 AM

I wondered what had happened to McCall's and found out it turned into Rosie as in O'Donnell, then quit publishing.

A lot of these magazines have been around a long, long, time.

Cosmopolitan used to be a general fiction magazine for both genders, until Helen got a hold of it.

Ladies Home Journal helped popularize the term "living room" - quote from their website (Bok was the publisher.)

The Living Room Is Born

No matter the size of a house, Bok believed every inch of space should be utilized. He considered formal rooms such as the drawing room or parlor a waste: "We have what we call a 'drawing room.' Just whom or what it 'draws' I have never been able to see unless it draws attention to too much money and no taste...." The parlor was traditionally used only on Sundays or for displaying deceased family members before burial, so architects at the turn of the century renamed the space the "living room" to stamp out any somber connotations. From November 1900 on, Bok fully supported this new concept in the pages of Ladies' Home Journal, publishing only plans that replaced parlors with living rooms. As a result he probably helped popularize the now-standard term.

MaryStoaks 10-19-2012 05:26 AM

I liked to read my aunt's Workbasket magazines. They were so homey.:thumbup: