Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Not Paper Wasps! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/not-paper-wasps-t158034.html)

Glassquilt 10-04-2011 05:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
DH is allergic to bees. There have been bees buzzing around him as he worked on the greenhouse windows. He kept hoping they'd sleep sometime like very early in the morning. Alas, no such luck.

DH finally called pest control yesterday and they came today. The man was here for 45 minutes. He was able to do most of the work from inside the shed. There is a shelf on top of the wall under the roof - triangle in the second picture. He unscrewed the shelf and there were the little critters. He sprayed the daylights out of them both inside the shed and outside the shed. Cleaned up the nest, bagged the stuff (took it away) and put the shelf back.

The left nest is 4". The right nest is 6". The critters were yellow jackets! *shudder*

KimS 10-04-2011 05:04 PM

OMG! Glad to hear things turned out the way they did. Your husband was very lucky he wasn't stung.

Izaquilter 10-04-2011 05:06 PM

when we were eating lunch outside yesterday & today there were bees buzzing us. It's gotten somewhat chillier here & I thought it was unusual. Maybe a last hooorahhhh for them?

ellenmg 10-04-2011 05:10 PM

Years ago I kept hearing a humming sound in my bathroom, thought it was laundry, or water pipes...one day, out of the razor blade slot in the medicine cabinet (how old am I?) comes bees, they had made a hole in the exterior wall right by the bathroom... Orkin, please help!!!!

DogHouseMom 10-04-2011 05:11 PM

Ugh!! I hate Yellowjackets more than any other wasp type thing. Was stung once, on the palm of my right hand. Talk about BURNING and swelling!!

So glad you got rid of it.

Greenheron 10-04-2011 05:15 PM

They're d--- aggressive!

sewlisa 10-04-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ellenmg
Years ago I kept hearing a humming sound in my bathroom, thought it was laundry, or water pipes...one day, out of the razor blade slot in the medicine cabinet (how old am I?) comes bees, they had made a hole in the exterior wall right by the bathroom... Orkin, please help!!!!

The first house DH and I lived in when we were first married had had a long and varied life. I understand that it was a grain bin and a chicken house among other things. I will never forget trying to hang a picture and hearing the walls humming. Was never so glad for winter in my whole life! That's also the house that had electric heat and cold air blowing in around the thermostats. :?

Sadiemae 10-04-2011 05:24 PM

I don't know how many nests I have sprayed this summer. They are just terrible, and attack for no reason.

Murphy 10-04-2011 05:26 PM

OMG, how yucky. I was upstairs in our computer room yesterday and saw a lot of "wasps" swarming around the window. I think I shall call the exterminator now. Ugh.

luckylindy333 10-04-2011 05:28 PM

I don't dislike an insect except for those nasty yellow jackets- they just sting you for no reason!

I especially like the Quilting Bee!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: