Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Not quilting related, but OK anyway. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/not-quilting-related-but-ok-anyway-t261679.html)

MCH 02-23-2015 03:16 PM

Yep...here in the San Francisco Bay Area, it's definitely shorts, sandals, and t-shirt weather. Before anyone gets upset with me, here's the back story. I was born,raised, and went to college in Central Illinois (snow, cold / freezing temps, ice storms in the winter and floods / tornadoes in the spring the on to heat / humidity that makes even a short-haired dog's hair curl in the summer.) Then, spent seven years in Poughkeepsie, NY (90 miles n. of NYC on the Hudson River)...repeat the Central Illinois scene. Then back to suburban Chicago...and more snow and colder temps than i'd EVER experienced!
One winter, by the time February rolled around, we were fed up with winter (couldn't see out the 1st floor windows), but the snow and cold continued to roll in. That was when I decided that even though February has either 28 or 29 days, in Chicago (at least), it's the LONGEST d**n month of the year! The snow was piled so high we had to dig down to reach the mailbox at the curb! I was convinced the green grass would NEVER appear!

Then, I went outside one afternoon, and dug into the bottom of the drift along the driveway. An amazing sight appeared from under the snow. The grass was a gorgeous shade of green and thriving! The snow had insulated it!

It was shortly after that, I made the declaration that my birthday, March 1, is officially the first day of SPRING -- no matter what was on the ground or what was the temperature! On March 1, that year, I put on shorts, a t-shirt, and sandals...and took a turn around the driveway. Then, I scurried back into the house and put on the sweat pants, sweatshirt over the t-shirt, and exchanged the sandals for shoes and socks.

Now, I live in a place that has a very mild and temperate climate. I admit I have learned to appreciate it...and have less than no desire to experience cold, snow, and ice. However, that all said, I would love to have some rain so that our grass will turn green again. Ah, the irony.

BTW, the first day of spring is this coming Sunday. Ha! Also, at this latitude, we've gained 90 minutes of daylight since Christmas! Stay safe and warm, friends.

Wintersewer 02-24-2015 08:49 AM

I live in central NY and I know how all you NYers feel. Thank God for sun today....makes me feel a lot happier anyway. It will be a long while before this 4'+ of snow is gone. I'd be happy for 20s and 30s with no bitter wind so I could go for a walk. Single digits and below is just too cold for me. Sew, sew, sew.......

Originally Posted by Yankeegirl (Post 7102697)
Oh I can certainly relate to how you feel - I live in the Adirondack Mountains in New York State. I have approx. 4ft of snow in my yard today and not much hope of seeing the grass again till the end of April. It drops to below zero most every night but I know that soon the Robins will be in the yard and I will be able to sit on the porch and have coffee. Keep your chin up - it wont be long :).

IBQUILTIN 02-24-2015 10:51 AM

Its funny how we all are upset with the weather this year. Here we are in a terrible drought, and I would give just about anything to see snow on the ground. We need it for the ground water. It takes one foot of snow to make one inch of water, and we need it desperately.

madamekelly 02-24-2015 12:27 PM

Hang on dear, Spring is coming! We here in Oregon have the opposite problem. We have blossoms already...

miriam 02-24-2015 02:21 PM

We had - digits this morning and my back yard looks the same as the op pic - white everything and I think we are supposed to get a little more white and a bit more cold - no end in sight yet. No spring flowers here yet. I have been day dreaming about a garden though. If you have spring flowers could you kindly shoot a couple pictures so we all really know there are such a thing this year...

tessagin 02-24-2015 02:36 PM

it's chilly here at a high of 45 maybe. Refuse to turn on the gas heat. They've had gas company and detectors an no one smells it but me. The dogs take a whiff when they walk by and quickly head to the back door. but still no one gets a whiff but me and the dogs. So therefore, I'm not turning the gas on. They go to the gas stove and no one smells it. I don't smell any leaks there. So we use electric space heaters and I'm fine with that. only thing with that is I have to turn them off when leaving the house. Dogs have extra blankets. I lived up in Indiana and moved down here in 94. So I know what it's like to be cold. Ya'll have my sympathy but my blood has been thawed for awhile and yes I've become a panty waist (aka sissy). Not suppose to warm up til Sun. Got pretty warm this past weekend upper 70s low 80s. DH thought about turning AC on for awhile. No way! I needed to store as much heat as I could! Now I set here with sweat pants on and jacket and socks up to my knees. I am not a fan of hot tea so I just warmed up some water. Not too bad with honey and crushed berries.

sailsablazin 02-24-2015 09:03 PM

I live in Michigan and we just raked 24 inches of snow off of the roof. We have at least 3 feet out in the yard. I would like to make a convoy of 18 wheelers filled with snow and drive out to those areas that are having a drought! I know that New York has no where to put the white stuff....they can join in the convoy.

just joan 02-25-2015 04:33 AM

You Must live by the Lake Michigan lake shore. I live in Northern Michigan about 50 miles in land and we don't have nearly as much snow.

Vicki1212 02-25-2015 05:03 AM

I'll swap!!!!! I live on the East Coast of South Africa and we are just coming to the end of our hottest month of the year. Average temps over the past month have been 93 deg F. I spend hours at work dreaming of going home to do some quilting but when I get home all I can do is drink ice water and flop! (No aircons at home) Can't wait for cooler weather to quilt in comfort ;) Wish I could send you all a bit of heat with this post! :)

Caswews 02-25-2015 08:05 AM

Old Q: It was in the 50's all last week now we are down to the 20's, fire place a going ahhhh...... Our mountains received over 2 feet of snow and we are over snowpack for this year already. The local ski area received the much needed snow to rev up their season. One of the outlying towns received 18" plus of snow. AND we have two more snow storms coming in (one tonite and one on Friday). I feel for those of you who have had the snow storms that have blasted your towns, I am so sorry ..

Post away we all see you !! :-)