Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Not Your Grandma's Knitting Circle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/not-your-grandmas-knitting-circle-t256946.html)

mrs theo 11-17-2014 10:32 AM

Not Your Grandma's Knitting Circle

This past Friday night was a blast! I was invited via Facebook to join a group meeting for the first time with the name of my title for this post. About 9 women showed up with bags of yarn and their knitting needles and crochet hooks. It was a social/learning event. We had a good time getting to know one another and the experience levels ranged from beginner to expert. All I was told ahead of time was to bring something to work on :) The advanced ladies helped the newbies. We plan on doing this once a month from now on. It was a really relaxing and fun gathering!

thimblebug6000 11-17-2014 10:57 AM

Sounds like a great time! Enjoy your new friends!

pdcakm 11-17-2014 11:04 AM

congrats on your newfound fun.

i belong to two knitting groups (friday and tuesday), and two quilting groups (wednesday and friday). do not necessarily attend all each week, but they are my sanity savers. a bit of work, a lot of talk. new ideas, help and support, getting out of the house. we swap yarn and yarns.

have fun.

Geri B 11-17-2014 11:11 AM

..and where did you meet....will this be a regular thing? How did they get your name to invite you???

Jan in VA 11-17-2014 02:27 PM

I once ran into a lively group that met once a week in the evening, straight from work, at Panera Bread in front of the fireplace. They'd been meeting for years and seemed to be the dearest of friends. I don't knit or crochet, but that day I sure wished I did!:thumbup:

Jan in VA

Sandra in Minnesota 11-17-2014 03:26 PM

Sounds like you had a great time!

tessagin 11-17-2014 03:30 PM

Sounded fun!

coopah 11-19-2014 06:27 AM

We have just started a group called the 'Brown Bag Quilters." We meet at lunch once a month (but not December) in someone's home. We share what we've done during the month. Two of the girls taught quilting, so we get help, if needed!! We each bring our own lunch and the hostess furnishes the drinks. (non-alcoholic) So far we have 6 in the group. It needs to stay small.

maryfrang 11-19-2014 06:49 AM

What a great idea and you don't have to go out on a cold winter day. Besides you get to share your crafts and enjoy each other company. Like I said Great Idea.

mrs theo 11-21-2014 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 6972843)
..and where did you meet....will this be a regular thing? How did they get your name to invite you???

We met at a local restaurant and took up a two sofas and some chairs by the fireplace. We did order food and drinks, so they didn't mind. It was a bit loud though, so we're talking about taking turns at different houses. My daughter new the person who wanted to do this and invited me. The others were all invited by the leader through her facebook page :)