Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Now I know what I've been doing wrong! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/now-i-know-what-ive-been-doing-wrong-t175731.html)

TanyaL 01-20-2012 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron (Post 4892838)
I don't wear pajamas in bed, why would I wear them to sew?

I guess this means you sew in your nightgown!

wildyard 01-20-2012 03:34 PM

I tend to sleep in my birthday suit as that makes the fibro happiest, but it's gotten really old, stretched out and wrinkled in all the wrong places. I know I don't want to sew in it as it tends to stick to furniture and such and can be quite painful when peeling it off. Also, I'd be a little nervous as I have a tendency to drop things, like scissors and pins. As for answering the door in my sewing outfit, I try to be a kind person and exposing anyone to that poor old outfit would not be a nice thing to do. Sometimes it almost traumatizes me, and I KNOW what it looks like, so just imagine what it would do to some poor unsuspecting person who knocks on the door. Oh My....
So I get all dressed up in my softest sweats and socks and that's what I wear most all the time. :D

BellaBoo 01-20-2012 03:51 PM

I get dressed everyday for looking decent if I have to go somewhere expectantly. I put on a pair of pull on slacks, flats, nice top, brush my hair and put on min. make up. Takes the same amount of time to put on comfortable nice clothes as comfortable sloppy ones. I don't do it for DH or family though. I do it for me.

TanyaL 01-20-2012 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4894118)
I get dressed everyday for looking decent if I have to go somewhere expectantly. I put on a pair of pull on slacks, flats, nice top, brush my hair and put on min. make up. Takes the same amount of time to put on comfortable nice clothes as comfortable sloppy ones. I don't do it for DH or family though. I do it for me.

It's nice to hear from you. Looking nice makes me feel better.

bjnicholson 01-20-2012 04:21 PM

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!! (I had to lengthen my reply to more than 20 characters ;) )

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 4894056)
I tend to sleep in my birthday suit as that makes the fibro happiest, but it's gotten really old, stretched out and wrinkled in all the wrong places. I know I don't want to sew in it as it tends to stick to furniture and such and can be quite painful when peeling it off. Also, I'd be a little nervous as I have a tendency to drop things, like scissors and pins. As for answering the door in my sewing outfit, I try to be a kind person and exposing anyone to that poor old outfit would not be a nice thing to do. Sometimes it almost traumatizes me, and I KNOW what it looks like, so just imagine what it would do to some poor unsuspecting person who knocks on the door. Oh My....
So I get all dressed up in my softest sweats and socks and that's what I wear most all the time. :D

Charlee 01-20-2012 04:26 PM

OMG!! I'm STILL giggling!!! :D

weasier22 01-20-2012 05:52 PM

Can't stop chuckling! My..how times have changed! I've been in my pjs all day! And hubby is at home!

weasier22 01-20-2012 05:57 PM

OMG...this has got to be the funniest thing I read in a long time! Your sense of humor is wonderful!

Rose_P 01-26-2012 12:21 PM

I recently had my hair done and put on a dress, heels (1 1/2"), hose and make-up to go out for our 40th anniversary. The last time I wore a dress was 4 years ago for a niece's wedding, and I got a little dressed up (nice pants outfit) for my cousin's 50th anniversary party. For sewing? Not on your life!

My mom had a Better Homes and Gardens baby book for my brother from 1949, and it, too, was full of helpful advice about how the new mom was supposed to keep up appearances. All through the 1950's and '60's my mom wore high (HIGH!) heels to work, where she sat behind a desk doing medical records (Who would see?), and in good weather she would walk in those heels the two blocks to and from the office. When she got home she would kick off her work shoes and wear high-heeled house shoes because her achilles tendons were shortened by the years of wearing heels and flats would have hurt. She was always complaining about her feet.

I remember noticing as recently as about 1975 that a lot of older women were still in the habit of dressing "properly" (dress, heels, make-up) to do their grocery shopping. You'd never know who you might run into there, I suppose.

I'm so thankful that we threw off the shackles. I'm a glutton for comfort.

Thanks, Charlee, for a good laugh!