Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Nursing home gifts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/nursing-home-gifts-t115972.html)

Camping Betty 04-14-2011 02:14 AM

Help !! I need ideas for small gifts for nursing home residents
maybe about 100 to 150 residents.
our auxiliary is choosing a nursing home to make small gifts for. We made Easter baskets this time but need more ideas for the next one.

mimom 04-14-2011 02:17 AM

what about tote bags, with all the activities that they have going on for the residents at most homes maybe they could use them for transporting there stuff. Or small table runners for their rooms. I'll keep thinking

is there some kind of picture frames that you could make?

Kathios 04-14-2011 02:24 AM

One year I made little sachets. I had some rose potpouri, so I chose a fabric with roses. I also had some lavender, so I made the sachets with fabric with lavender. Another popular item is a pillowcase, as you can make them for both the male and female residents.

watterstide 04-14-2011 02:36 AM

i like the pillow case idea..they will need thier name on them though,if the nursing home does thier laundry.

calano1 04-14-2011 02:45 AM

For those with walkers - walker bags.
Those with catheters - catheter bags (with ties).
Mugrugs.
Adult Bibs.
Toiletry bags.
Bible covers.
Embroidered washcloths.
hmmmmmm.........what else....????

bluteddi 04-14-2011 04:03 AM

sm lap quilts ( I do this fir the veterans)
tray favors (melted styrofoam cups ib microwave... made bonnwt shape & decorated for easter. for fall we used film canisters decorated with stickers, flowers. a litter ribbon...

Sewfine 04-14-2011 07:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I did a walker bag for one of my co-workers mother. See was just as happy. Keep asking me how did you do that.

Sewfine

Walker Bag
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184097[/ATTACH]

Inside of walker bag
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184098[/ATTACH]

quilter1943 04-14-2011 09:18 AM

There are a lot of patterns for carriers that fit over the top of walkers, if a lot of them use regular walkers instead of the push ones with a seat. Maybe some kind of bookmarks. My mom was always thrilled when she got one.

amma 04-14-2011 09:36 AM

snap bags to keep little things organized :D:D:D

Ramona Byrd 04-14-2011 03:12 PM

Large, soft, huggable Teddy Bears. Baby sized dolls with clothes and blankets. Men and women both love them.

My DH was in a nursing home for his last 3 years, and I discovered that a lot of the residents who were stroke/brain damaged wanted something soft to hug. Some of them actually carried around rolled up towels held together with rubber bands.

I got a bunch of big dolls at Walmart and dressed them, the workers there told me which ones would be good "Mommies".
I saw them around for the entire time DH was in there.

Ask someone who works there what they need or want.