Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Nylon Net from Flowers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/nylon-net-flowers-t229394.html)

Tiggersmom 09-03-2013 12:08 PM

Nylon Net from Flowers

My husband buys me flowers when the mood strikes him and lately besides the plastic wrapping they have various colored netting too. It is a huge piece with an x cut in the center and I feel guilty throwing it away. What do you do with the netting?

I tried making scrunchie scrubbers once for a finer netting and it was awful on my hands, but this is a larger more coarse net. Any suggestions? or should I do like my friends say of other items, just get rid of it?

TIA, Jennifer

ps: I'm not the artistic type quilter so it is Not going in my quilts.

Tartan 09-03-2013 01:20 PM

Can you make thread nets for your big cones of threads or is it to snaggy? It might have some applications for in the garden as vegetable nets for keeping squash up off the ground? Rather than crocheting it into scrubbers, how about folding it several times into a square and stitch once around the edge to make a square kitchen scrubby? How about cut into strips to tie up tomato plants in the garden?

kathy 09-03-2013 01:27 PM

I use them for thread nets

jitkaau 09-04-2013 03:31 AM

Could you give back for re - use by the florist?

Snooze2978 09-04-2013 06:22 AM

The netting that comes from the flowers I use to put over my thread spools to keep them from unraveling. They can be cut down for the smaller embroidery spools. I've gone to my florist and asked them to save me those they usually toss. Sure beats having to buy thread nets.

tessagin 09-04-2013 06:31 AM

Use it for washing small scraps in the washing machine.

cjr 09-04-2013 08:56 AM

Without seeing your mesh---- There is a "new" product called mesh that is glorified burlap, but not natural cotton like burlap. It is called mesh. Comes on rolls and is available at some party stores. Cut in squares, scrunch middle tie with a chennile(pipe cleaner) and tie to a wreath form. Makes a great showy wreath. I'm a retired florist. This product was available many years ago and did not catch on. What is old is new again with great new colors. Let me know how it works,

nanacc 09-04-2013 09:42 AM

I have an abundance of net left over from when I did make different kinds of scrubbies(some crocheted with cotton yarn for dish cloths). I got a big bundle of wash cloths, gathered the net, stitched it to the cloths. Makes a great dish cloth or car wash and doesn't scratch.

Caswews 09-04-2013 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6272130)
Can you make thread nets for your big cones of threads or is it to snaggy? It might have some applications for in the garden as vegetable nets for keeping squash up off the ground? Rather than crocheting it into scrubbers, how about folding it several times into a square and stitch once around the edge to make a square kitchen scrubby? How about cut into strips to tie up tomato plants in the garden?

What I was thinking as well Tartan...

Tiggersmom 09-04-2013 10:13 AM

Thanks for all your input! I'm not a gardener but I know one, so I will see if he is interested as he 'grows' his own worms, lol.