Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   odd/interesting words (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/odd-interesting-words-t29445.html)

k3n 12-16-2009 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
No response to nabob? LOL!

I was out looking for one, Loretta! :mrgreen:

zyxquilts 12-22-2009 10:16 PM

Really? I think some people have a natural gift for learning other languages, just like some people can paint etc. There are 1400 Mexican families that have moved into our county, and I cannot speak one word of Spanish, except Olah. Did you read where the language historians think Olah comes from the word Allah- from when the Moors lived in Spain? I thought that was interesting!

I've never heard that Loretta! We learn the most amazing things here... ;) I still remember some of my Spanish from Jr. High, where we just memorized conversations - my favorite is the answer to 'What's for dinner?' - "Albondigas, no te dije?" (Meatballs, didn't I tell you?)
There, that's my odd word! It always makes me smile! :D
Albondigas - all-bone-dee-gaus = meatballs or meatball soup

amma 12-22-2009 11:06 PM

LMBO off Sue, that one made me laugh too :D:D:D

Mousie 12-26-2009 08:46 AM

poikilothermous- cold blooded

Mousie thinks some nabobs are poikilothermous!:roll:

zaftig - buxom

I'd much rather be called buxom...like Jane Russel, than zaftig...sounds like something you'd call a daffy duck.
(no, kin to 'our' ducky! xoox :wink: )

Mousie 01-12-2010 07:05 AM

gallimaufry - medley, hodgepodge.
(I also like saying hodgepodge...as in, I like my quilts to have a theme or an organized look, instead of just a hodgepodge of fabrics. mho :wink: )

Honey 01-12-2010 02:27 PM

Pulsenameous :!: I love to use this if I am telling someone off :oops: I read it in Gone With The Wind years ago. I think it was Scarlett who called someone a "pulsenameous little twit" :wink: I looked it up but could not find it in the dictionary. Maybe I'm spelling it wrong. I have used it to rattle a few people :lol:

Teacup 01-12-2010 06:13 PM

Sesquipedalian -- A long word with many syllables.

Mousie 01-12-2010 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Teacup

it sure is!:lol:

curmudgeon - it's not an uncommon word. I just like it for some odd reason.
It means grouch! lol!
(maybe i like it, bc I am related to a few. :wink: )

Oklahoma Suzie 01-14-2010 07:32 AM

Perspicacious per⋅spi⋅ca⋅cious 
Keen discernment or understanding; discerning.

It has nothing to do with needing to wear deoderant, as I thought the first time I ran across this word.

lol

Oklahoma Suzie 01-14-2010 07:32 AM

lol