Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Odd things family members say... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/odd-things-family-members-say-t174828.html)

gzuslivz 01-07-2012 10:37 PM

Too many to count! My family is full of crazy sayings and even crazier songs.
1) When someone would say, "What for?", the response is. "Cat fur to make kitten britches".
2) If someone is holding you up, say "Well "poop" or get off the pot!"
3) If something is close, it's pertnear.
The list goes on and on.......

mountain deb 01-08-2012 04:19 AM

My mother would always call it an amblance for ambulance. I would always mispronounce aluminum by throwing an extra 'in' sound in there. I have to slow down and think the word through to pronounce it right.

19angel52 01-08-2012 04:21 AM

lol - gotta love it. I am so used to NOT using the mouse on my laptop, I had to think twice about the rectangular thingy!

jitkaau 01-08-2012 04:34 AM

I still get ragged about one that I did when computers were quite new. I had to give a presentation to fellow workers about how to operate the system and all the way through, I referred to the "sloppy disc" that one had to store the data on....my 'rotten' workmates could barely contain themselves. It took me a long time to stop laughing after they enlightened me as well.

jitkaau 01-08-2012 04:48 AM

More on the topic: I use two expressions which a lot of people laugh at but shouldn't, because I am usually pretty cheesed-off when I say them. They are,"leaping lizards" and "Well, that's enough to rot your socks!" - picked 'em up from my granny, along with "He's as mean as dammit!"

damaquilts 01-08-2012 07:11 AM

When my eldest was around 2 her father was grousing about something , she looked at him a said. "Don't be a grape." Of course she meant grump. But it stuck the whole time we were married for both of us.
My second pronounce animals , aminals and she and I say it that way to this day. I have to be careful speaking to someone else I say it right

damaquilts 01-08-2012 07:12 AM

Oh and my brother uses the expression That someone is a "soup sandwich" . Actually took me a minute to figure that one out.

Stitchit123 01-08-2012 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 4853163)
When my youngest daughter was about 18 months, she greeted her Daddy when he returned home from work,

"Hi"

Pause.

"More hi."

She's 28 now and we still laugh about it.

I often have trouble sleeping at night. On one of "those" nights, I rolled over toward my sleeping DH. He opened his eyes very wide and yelled "rawr" into my face. Then he started to "rawr" a second time, but woke himself up. I asked him why he was roaring at me - his answer was - "There's an alien under the crib."

We both cracked up.

Thank you and your hubby for the first laugh of the day. So did he catch those pesky aliens

TanyaL 01-08-2012 08:30 AM

My Mom used to say that when ever we asked "What's this?" My Grandmother used to say "If wishes were horses then beggars could ride".

This is from the 16th Century English Mother Goose Nursery Tales. I'm not sure if all the later versions included it.

TanyaL 01-08-2012 08:33 AM

My grandmother used to say "Don't get your cart before your horse."