Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Oh well (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/oh-well-t146216.html)

luv2so 08-19-2011 05:05 AM

I'm feeling happy yet sad. We finally sold our house so we can move to the three acres on the mountains in Chattanooga area.

Sad because I'll be leaving some neighbors I really, really like. Happy because we'll finally get to build that house that I've had plans for for nearly five years now. And sad because I won't be able to do any real sewing or embroidery for a while while we build because we'll be living in our motorhome while we build.

Happy because I'll still have internet and be able to keep contact with all my wonderful neighbors and still be able to see all the beautiful work this group does. Hey, I might even get some ideas for new things for our home.

I guess I should count my blessings instead of tears. I did get a little closer to home up North with this move.

ontheriver 08-19-2011 05:07 AM

I lived in small motor home when building my home a couple of years ago. I still quilted, I did EPP and quilted by hand. You can still do it.

valsma 08-19-2011 05:13 AM

I would say try and think of it as a grand adventure. While it makes you sad that your leaving old friends behind, your finally going to get to build that house.
At least this is not like a 150-160 years ago when someone moved and only had letters to keep in touch with those back in "the states" that took forever to get a reply to, if ever. Now your friends and you can keep in contact in just seconds.
I really does suck that you're not going to be able to get much sewing done. Maybe a good time to learn hand peicing if you don't do that already.

mizkyp 08-19-2011 05:50 AM

It's a bittersweet journey. Leaving good friends while building your dream. Hugs are coming your way.

craftybear 08-19-2011 05:58 AM

will you be able to set up your sewing machine and still sew in the motorhome?

also you could learn to hand piece and hand quilt, you can do it

Have fun sewing and building your new home

Karen, Craftybear

Originally Posted by luv2so
I'm feeling happy yet sad. We finally sold our house so we can move to the three acres on the mountains in Chattanooga area.

Sad because I'll be leaving some neighbors I really, really like. Happy because we'll finally get to build that house that I've had plans for for nearly five years now. And sad because I won't be able to do any real sewing or embroidery for a while while we build because we'll be living in our motorhome while we build.

Happy because I'll still have internet and be able to keep contact with all my wonderful neighbors and still be able to see all the beautiful work this group does. Hey, I might even get some ideas for new things for our home.

I guess I should count my blessings instead of tears. I did get a little closer to home up North with this move.

ptquilts 08-19-2011 06:05 AM

Have fun on your great adventure!! Be sure to build your sewing room just the way you want it.

We moved 21 years ago, I totally wanted to move to the new place but still had tears streaming down my face as we left the old one. It is only normal to mourn all the happy times you had, but keep looking to the future.

Joyce DeBacco 08-19-2011 06:21 AM

It's always sad when you leave a home you love. But when you have a new home to look forward to, it lessens the pain. Besides, if you're building a new home you won't have time to be sad. You'll want to be there when the men are building to see every new aspect of it. It's like being pregnant. Watching and waiting for each new development. Then, finally having your baby (home) to love.

amandasgramma 08-19-2011 06:21 AM

I've lived in a MH -- I hand pieced. You can fit in a mat, a rotary cutter, a ruler (2" squares make a cool quilt) and needle and thread!!!! don't even TRY to give it up -- it'll give you indigestion!!!!

Congrats on the house -- I was in Chatanooga area last May and it's beautiful there!!!! And the dream of building my own house ---- wow - I'm jealous of you!!!!

Ellen 08-19-2011 06:31 AM

I full timed for 3 years 16 yrs ago. I put the stash and machine under the bed, cutting mat under the dinette cushion, notions beside the bed. Oval floor frame was under the couch. It can be done girl....go for it. You won't be sorry.
I LUV Chattanooga and area.

crafty pat 08-19-2011 06:35 AM

As a retired Army wife I have had to leave so many places and friend's. We have lived in so many country's and states I lost count. Built six new homes and it broke my heart to leave each one. When we built this one I said no more moves. Been here 23 years and love it.