Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Oklahoma Earthquake - Sat. Nov. 5th (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/oklahoma-earthquake-sat-nov-5th-t166485.html)

pollyjvan9 11-06-2011 06:01 AM

Oklahoma Earthquake - Sat. Nov. 5th

I'm here to tell all you people who live in earthquake territory, I Don't Like Earthquakes!!!!! Sitting here watching television, (actually, I was sleeping) and all of sudden I hear this low rumble sound and the house is shaking! At first I didn't have any idea what was going on. When it stopped I think I shook for about 30 minutes. I will take a tornado any time!!! At least you get some warning!!!

pjaco 11-06-2011 07:59 AM

It was pretty weird, Polly. Hope we don't have any more !

Abby'smom 11-06-2011 08:22 AM

scary -- I was in one in Mexico City a long time ago -- scary

jaciqltznok 11-06-2011 08:24 AM

Polly it only felt like 30 minutes..was more like 3..hehehe
had it here in Enid as well...having lived in Ak for so many years, I have been thru really BIG ones...and still last night, my heart was racing...BUT I did remember to yell at my son to stand in his door way....wonder if that works here in OK..hehehe

hope all are ok...I found a crack in dining room wall under the window sill...and one in my hallway..so I know it moved my house!

amandasgramma 11-06-2011 08:25 AM

We had one in Oregon years ago that shook me up. DH and I were in our motorhome in California when they had a small one. We laughed later when we realized all the people from outside of California gathered outside to talk about it and the Californian campers stayed inside!!!!!

littlehud 11-06-2011 08:26 AM

I'm just glad you are OK.

ShirlinAZ 11-06-2011 08:31 AM

I spent 30 years in the San Francisco bay area, and I traveled in OK and in KS during tornadoes. I'll take the earthquake any time. When you get a little dizzy feeling you duck under a desk/table or into an interior doorway and pretty soon it's over. Tornadoes go on and on, and even when the worst is over you've got lots of wind and rain. When I was out of work for a year I sent applications all over the country - but not to tornado alley!

Glad you are all OK in OK!!

Jennie and Me 11-06-2011 11:03 AM

"Dizzy feeling"...that's what that was! I was sitting here at my computer and had that feeling and didn't say anything about it even though my first thought was "earthquake". Still didn't believe that I had felt it until I read somewhere that someone about 4 miles from me felt the same thing.

bettysew 11-06-2011 01:13 PM

We felt it here in NW Texas, too, last night..DH declared our china cabinet move 1 inch. Was pretty weird to have the house shaking. Thought we only had to deal with tornadoes, not quakes.

aam5019 11-06-2011 01:16 PM

It scared us until we figured out what had happened. The epicenter was about 30 miles from us.