Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Old greeting cards I received that I want to keep (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/old-greeting-cards-i-received-i-want-keep-t209058.html)

annthreecats 12-22-2012 05:57 PM

Old greeting cards I received that I want to keep

I was looking through a box of old greeting cards that I have received over the last 13 years or so and I found a few birthday cards and an Easter card signed by my Mom (she passed away in 2007). These cards are super special to me and I had forgotten I even had them until a couple of weeks ago. I really want to save them and I thought about framing them. Is there something else I can do with them? Just wanted to check to see if there was another way to perserve them.

I appreciate any help.

lfstamper 12-22-2012 05:59 PM

There is an ornament pattern you could make with them. Google to see what patterns come up.

delma_paulk 12-22-2012 06:04 PM

You could make a memory book, like a scrapbook; that way you can thumb through them from time to time and enjoy the memories.

delma

Patti25314 12-22-2012 07:43 PM

I keep a special photo album for all picture Christmas cards.

Peckish 12-22-2012 08:13 PM

I think framing them is a great idea. I've seen frames that were clear on both sides, so if your mom wrote something on the backside of the cover, you would still be able to read it.

annthreecats 12-23-2012 03:26 AM

Thanks everyone. I've decided to frame them. They have "Dear Ann" and "Love, Mom" inside of them and I want to keep that intact so framing is the way to go.

gspsplease 12-23-2012 03:51 AM

Hi, often there are cards that are not precious enough to frame, but you still want to keep. I use them as bookmarks and have them scattered all over the house as I am usually reading a few books at a time. Every so often I open them up and reread the message or just admire the design -- better than just throwing everything.

TanyaL 12-23-2012 05:21 AM

My mother had received a very unusual card back in the 60's that she liked so much she took it to someone who sandwiched it between fabric on the back and clear vinyl on the front and made mom a purse/tote bag with this card as the center of the front. She got compliments on that purse every time she carried it. Now that we have patterns, etc. we could do the same thing or we could copy the card onto fabric and not use the original card.

vtretire 12-24-2012 08:08 AM

I read this and just had to comment. You could copy some of the cards onto fabric and make a wonderful keepsake quilt. You can copy some of the insides so you'd have your moms signature showing.

annthreecats 12-25-2012 11:43 AM

Thank you TanyaL and vtretire for the idea to copy them onto fabric and made a quilt. That is a clever idea and one I would not have thought of. I will get some of fabric to copy them on and see how that works. Neat. Thanks again.