Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Old stash you no longer like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/old-stash-you-no-longer-like-t214446.html)

TanyaL 02-21-2013 12:12 PM

Old stash you no longer like

What do you do with fabric in your stash you decide you just despise? I've started using mine for paint wipe cloths and cut some of it to fit my mop instead of buying the disposable mop pads. Wiping paint on it makes me feel good and I'm probably saving money by not buying the disposable mop pads. Thank goodness 100% cotton will just soak everything right up! And very slowly my stash is looking neater.

owlvamp 02-21-2013 12:14 PM

You could donate to charity's. I m sure there is lots in your area.

Tartan 02-21-2013 12:15 PM

Bonnie Hunter says there is no ugly fabric! You just aren't cutting it small enough. Check out her www.quiltville.com site for wonderful scrappy quilts.

sew4nin 02-21-2013 12:15 PM

You could always swap a little with someone (me), then you get some new AND you get rid of what you are tired of!
Just a suggestion:D

TanyaL 02-21-2013 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by owlvamp (Post 5878343)
You could donate to charity's. I m sure there is lots in your area.

I am my own charity. If I didn't use this ugly fabric, I would have to buy cheesecloth and those disposable mop heads. And, I find something is a little wrong with saying, "I wouldn't use this at all, but it's ok for you." That's just a little too elitest for me.

QuiltingNinaSue 02-21-2013 12:28 PM

I have 'gifted' or 'paid forward' fabric to other quilters and have reaped wonderful surprises in return. I did ask the individuals in advance on what they wanted or they stated what they were looking for and we both was very happy. I cannot imagine using fabric I paid $11.00 a yard to use as a $5.00 mop. But to each his own, is what the old maid said that kissed a cow., or so my grandmother told me. Charities always need fabric, as local ports of charities do also....hospitals need children's quilts, hospice needs quilts to give to family members in time of a death in the family. You might make some new friends and feel good by helping others who are not blessed with as much as you are with fabrics. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all are unique and different.

jbud2 02-21-2013 12:36 PM

I used to give it our church rummage sale but someone seemed to always pull it out and save it for me to make something for our fall bazaar. So it came home again because I didn't want to hurt their feelings. Now I give it to the Salvation Army or Rescue Mission thrift stores.

TanyaL 02-21-2013 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 5878364)
I have 'gifted' or 'paid forward' fabric to other quilters and have reaped wonderful surprises in return. I did ask the individuals in advance on what they wanted or they stated what they were looking for and we both was very happy. I cannot imagine using fabric I paid $11.00 a yard to use as a $5.00 mop. But to each his own, is what the old maid said that kissed a cow., or so my grandmother told me. Charities always need fabric, as local ports of charities do also....hospitals need children's quilts, hospice needs quilts to give to family members in time of a death in the family. You might make some new friends and feel good by helping others who are not blessed with as much as you are with fabrics. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all are unique and different.

Thank you for your opinion on what I should be doing with my "mistakes". As you say, we are different. I was curious as to other's solutions. I do give a lot to charity - just not my ugly fabric.

Sheepshed 02-21-2013 12:59 PM

Chenille has several layers that virtually dont show the pattern or motif... hee hee

Chasing Hawk 02-21-2013 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5878429)
Thank you for your opinion on what I should be doing with my "mistakes". As you say, we are different. I was curious as to other's solutions. I do give a lot to charity - just not my ugly fabric.

Tanya and I must think the same.....LOL

We don't want to be known as the women who only give away ugly fabrics. haha

I usually avoid buying ugly fabric. Although I have a couple of them lurking about the closet somewhere.