Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Olympics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/olympics-t195936.html)

LynnVT 07-27-2012 03:44 PM

Olympics

I love the Olympics. Winter and summer, wherever they are, we watch as much as we can throughout the whole time. I'm not a sports fan. I go into another room when hubby is watching any sport - golf, basketball, hockey, football. But come the Olympics, we watch everything we can, together, even sports I don't like. My favorites are gymnastics, swimming, equestrian...etc. It's schmaltzy, but I love the opening and closing ceremonies, the march of the athletes. All the hopeful young people from every country, marching to honor their homelands and celebrate their accomplishments, win or not. I hate some TV reporting when they get super gooey schmaltzy, and when they put waaaayyy too much emphasis on gold instead of the heart of the competitors. But I love the stories of the people who spend their lives preparing for the competition. Love the pageantry.

So anyone else out there with me on this?
Gonna close down the 'puter now and get out my knitting, and prepare to be awed by the show!
Lynn

EllieGirl 07-27-2012 03:54 PM

I love the Olympics. I'm sitting here right now watching them. I like the swimming, track, and volleyball the most.

mizkyp 07-27-2012 04:23 PM

I'm watching the opening ceremony right now. Enjoy.

JuneBillie 07-27-2012 04:37 PM

The Olympics Opening Ceremony is just wonderful.

Latrinka 07-27-2012 05:20 PM

I love the gymnastics!

Joset 07-28-2012 09:29 AM

watch the opening cermony last night it was just awesome.

burchquilts 07-29-2012 12:20 AM

Could you believe "the new Bond girl" in the opening ceremonies? LOL! Her Majesty was great! As was David Beckham (which goes without saying... LOL!). I used to watch the Olympics with my Mother when she was still alive. She'd stay up day & night & watch anything as long as the rings somewhere in sight... LOL! It's just not the same without her so I'm saving myself for football & especially hockey season. But I have been peeking in from time to time... saw some men's gymnastics tonight that were awesome!

LynnVT 07-30-2012 09:44 AM

Still watching various sports. Rebecca, we just howled with laughter at queen's bit. Reports show she really enjoyed doing it, and did the whole thing in one take. She's quite the old girl!

burchquilts 07-31-2012 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT (Post 5405975)
Still watching various sports. Rebecca, we just howled with laughter at queen's bit. Reports show she really enjoyed doing it, and did the whole thing in one take. She's quite the old girl!

That's what I heard, too. I've always thought the world of her!

QuiltnLady1 07-31-2012 08:22 PM

I love the Olympics -- I have a hard time leaving the TV during the day since I can see everything and not just highlights. The white water thing with the gates was amazing today -- I don't care if the US is not in the hunt, I just enjoy watching and appreciating the sacrifice that all the folks made to get there. I was crushed for the men's gymnastic team -- after all their hard work they looked like they all had a bad case of nerves.

I really loved the Queen's bit -- what fun that she could let her hair down and do something totally entertaining. I loved it!!!