Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   OMG I've been sewing Barbie clothes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/omg-ive-been-sewing-barbie-clothes-t173233.html)

sdeaaz 12-26-2011 11:07 AM

OMG I've been sewing Barbie clothes

I started at Thanksgiving time sewing baby clothes and diapers for my granddaughters, "Baby Alive". Then during Christmas shopping I found Barbie's for my 5 and 3 year old granddaughters... Thought I could also make them a pretty neat wardrobe.... WRONG... what a pain. I made about 2 dresses and a couple skirts and now I am knitting and crocheting them...much easier. Has anyone had similar experiences or any hints for sewing Barbie clothes. Quilter 1234

paulettepoe 12-26-2011 11:27 AM

I remember trying to learn to sew with barbie clothes. Its a bloody wonder that I sew today after that. Those have got to be the worse doll clothes in the world to sew.

Tartan 12-26-2011 11:30 AM

Years ago I bought a pattern for sewing Barbie clothes. I did quite a few for my daughter but I can't say it was fun. There are so many tiny pieces and then I had to look for tiny fasteners. I finally settled for little strips of velcro with a tiny decorative button sewn on top. The little packages of special clothes look expensive until you try to do them yourself. After creating a wardrobe, I think they are a bargain!

sdeaaz 12-26-2011 12:23 PM

this makes me feel better, I sew a lot, but I was really feeling like a failure..... crocheting and knitting are much easier, I'll see what the little ones think.... If they like them, I can do one a night in my chair.....lol... Quilter 1234

Mickie612 12-26-2011 12:28 PM

I made Barbie clothes for my 3 daughters, Ken clothes also, the only flack I caught was from my husband who , when he came across a very small zipper said if Ken needed that zipper, his daughters did not need Ken.

sdeaaz 12-26-2011 12:36 PM

WHAT you sewed a zipper into these clothes... OMG... you are a miracle worker...

nyelphaba 12-26-2011 03:29 PM

When I was a child, my Great Aunt Bertha knit clothing for my Barbie. Aunt Bertha did not have bifocals and she wore two pairs of glasses to make these clothes for me. When she gave the clothes to me, the style she made was the style she herself wore- my Barbie looked just like my Great Aunt Bertha.

skrucker 12-26-2011 05:30 PM

When I was a little girls, my grandparents gave me my first Ken and Barbie dolls and every Christmas after that my grandma would give me a shoe box full of handmade Ken and Barbie clothes she had painstakenly made for me. I was planning on making Ken and Barbie clothes for my own granddaughters for next Christmas.

delma_paulk 12-26-2011 06:02 PM

The only way I could sew them was hand sewing. Crocheting and knitting them is so much easier!

delma

Fraew 12-26-2011 06:33 PM

This thread is hilarious...I don't know where to start! :D "Small zipper" and dressed like "Aunt Bertha"...ROFL

I also tried to "sew" for Barbie and gave up. Crochet for Barbie is soooo much easier! Good luck. :)