Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   One of my most important food shopping tips ever (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/one-my-most-important-food-shopping-tips-ever-t209809.html)

BellaBoo 01-01-2013 07:16 PM

It's sad when you need a chemistry and biological degree just to buy food.! I drive the produce man nuts at the local grocery store. He will now see me and tell me which foods are in that I want to buy. I don't buy prepackaged processed foods at all. There is no way to know what is in them. Some ingredients do not have to listed where they were grown or how they were processed or created in a lab somewhere. The food changes are serious for our children. So many have allergies, weak immune systems, learning problems, etc then ever before.

DogHouseMom 01-01-2013 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5754676)
And here I thought you were going to tell us how to remove those annoying stickers ....... without damaging the fruit! :)

Does it surprise you if I said me too!!

Still ... I'll be looking at those stickers for now on!

QuiltE 01-01-2013 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by doghousemom (Post 5755830)
does it surprise you if i said me too!!

Still ... I'll be looking at those stickers for now on!

gmta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

quiltjoey 01-01-2013 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish (Post 5755595)
Thanks so much. I have a sea food allergy and those genetically modified ones cause me so many problems. They inject fish DNA in the plants to make the vegetables more cold tolerant. You just think that tomatoes are a healthy thing to eat until you find yourself in the ER.

Isn't that disgusting to know our plants are part seafood?!! Yuck! My husband like to grow a little garden. I had fresh collards I picked this morning for our New Years Day tradition. My black eyed peas were fresh, frozen and very good. Wish we could grow all our food. But am thinking will start looking in our area to find who grows what things and become a regular at the farmers market...

quiltjoey 01-01-2013 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey (Post 5755996)
Isn't that disgusting to know our plants are part seafood?!! Yuck! My husband like to grow a little garden. I had fresh collards I picked this morning for our New Years Day tradition. My black eyed peas were fresh, frozen and very good. Wish we could grow all our food. But am thinking will start looking in our area to find who grows what things and become a regular at the farmers market...

I also shop at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and Earth Fare but you still have to read all the labels and ask questions about where stuff comes from...

2manyhobbies 01-02-2013 05:05 AM

According to Snopes, it is true.

LenaBeena 01-02-2013 06:44 AM

What the Sticker on Your Produce Actually Means

Price Look-Up codes (PLUs) are printed on the small stickers attached to fresh produce at the grocery store. These codes are used to make check-out and inventory control easier for the store. They also tell you key pieces of information about the produce, such as how it was grown.

Conventionally grown food can be identified by a four-digit number, such as 4011 for bananas.
Organic food is identified by a a five-digit number that begins with a nine, such as 94011 for bananas.
Genetically modified food is indicated by a five-digit number that begins with an eight, such as 84805 for a vine ripe tomato.

PLU codes are created by an international body and can be searched online.

If the sticker also has the USDA organic seal, then you know it’s been certified by the government through the National Organic Program. To be certified, products must be inspected and meet the USDA regulations. Learn more about organic label.

Jingle 01-02-2013 10:41 AM

All I care about is how good the produce looks and if I like it or not. I don't spend anymore time shopping than I have to. I steer clear of organic anything, I just figure it is a way to get more money for the stuff.

linhawk 01-02-2013 11:00 AM

checked snopes. says mixed.
http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/produce.asp

Suse 01-02-2013 12:26 PM

Thanks for posting this.