Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Online Garment Sewing Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/online-garment-sewing-tutorials-t305416.html)

thrums 06-24-2019 02:52 PM

Online Garment Sewing Tutorials

I'm wondering if Seamwork tutorials are worth the subscription price or if it is another Bluprint. Has anyone tried it?

www.seamwork.com

Thanks.

dunster 06-24-2019 04:57 PM

Do you not think the Bluprint subscription is worth it? I'm getting a ton of value from mine, not so much from classes as from member-only discounts and free shipping.

thrums 06-24-2019 08:00 PM

Oops.....poor choice of words....I didn't mean to slam Bluprint. I do use Bluprint, but it doesn't offer in-depth start-to-finish garment tutorials as Seamwork claims it has. Seamwork is associated with Cashmerette patterns and offers patterns, fitting and sewing tutorials for the larger sizes as well as an online sewing community.

BTW......Tonight I got an email to try SeamWork for $1, which would be a good way to check out the site. Unfortunately it didn't include a link to that sign-up page. Hopefully that will come tomorrow in a response to my inquiry about the lost link.

SusieQOH 06-25-2019 05:20 AM

I didn't think you were trashing Bluprint when I read your post. But I do agree with Dunster- for the price you get a lot of benefits. But I don't think there is a lot of garment sewing there.

Lady Diana 06-25-2019 08:21 AM

Bluprint does not have much to chose from for garment sewing. They have depleted their supplies and kit inventory to the lowest it has every been. They got rid of Aurifil threads, bummer, they have no creative grids products to speak of. They don't even have Angela Walters creative grid rulers anymore...on one small slim straight one. I did get Kaffe Fassett fabric today for $2.38 a yard with the $20 off of $40 purchases. Now that is a bargain. I would like to see some new classes. I did get the Fremont Tote free, placed in my forever classes, and last week got the kit at 50% off. I am going to check out this new venue today....see what they have to offer. I love sewing garments.

Lady Diana 06-25-2019 08:32 AM

The new seamworks does not have video classes, it is a pattern a month program for $5.83 or upgrade to $7.00+.
It seems to be all written instruction. I can get that with commercial patterns. I, personally, don't see the value. And what garments I saw on the site, very plain with two or three pattern pieces you could draft on your own.

jokir44 06-25-2019 05:50 PM

Google Nancy Zieman. Some of her books have a DVD with them and I think the books are pretty picture heavy. I just today requested one of her books from my library.

thrums 06-25-2019 06:13 PM

Bluprint has changed over from many old reliable brands to "Bluprint" brands...eg. Lily and Loom, Boundless, and Craftsy Pima thread. I'd say the quality is one-step down from the old reliable brands, but is still good. However, at Bluprint I have found some of the "reliable brand names items" aren't as deeply discounted as one would think. I've compared some needles and rulers to Amazon. With my prime (meaning no shipping cost) I've found some items cheaper for me.

Bluprint sent out some surveys earlier this year. I received a brief survey after an order a few weeks ago. So if you have any comments please send them in. It can only help us. :)

thrums 06-25-2019 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana (Post 8269631)
The new seamworks does not have video classes, it is a pattern a month program for $5.83 or upgrade to $7.00+.
It seems to be all written instruction. I can get that with commercial patterns. I, personally, don't see the value. And what garments I saw on the site, very plain with two or three pattern pieces you could draft on your own.

Thanks for the heads-up. I was way off on that. I need a video presentations rather than printed instruction.

Here is a response I got from Seamwork today. "We're currently in the middle of redesigning that area with more tutorials and video courses, which will all be included to Seamwork members."

By the way, the $1 promotion was a mistake. I was told I could try the site for $7/mo. and cancel at any time. I think I'll wait until the site is updated.

tuckyquilter 06-25-2019 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by thrums (Post 8269313)
I'm wondering if Seamwork tutorials are worth the subscription price or if it is another Bluprint. Has anyone tried it?

www.seamwork.com

Thanks.

I'll have to check it out. Hope they have a free trial.

I liked Craftsy when I could just buy the classes I wanted, as 90% of the classes I have no need for. I still get all the discounts etc.,but not the membership charge. I always check youtube before I subscribe to anything, as there may be tutorials for free.